Birthday NGD

What's Hot
JamieWakehamJamieWakeham Frets: 39
edited December 2020 in Guitar
The modern take on Keef's Micawber that I've posted about before is finally finished - this 40th birthday present to myself actually arrived two days before my 42nd birthday!

Body (one piece swamp ash) and neck (7.25" radius with a thinnish C profile and vintage fretwire) by Guitarbuild.  Rather lovely nitro finish by @lamf68. Pickups are @Alegree Cirrostratus bridge and Chameleon.

Yes, those are forearm and tummy contours, because guitar design didn't need to be frozen as of 1953 ;-)   The control layout is unusual - the pickup selector switcher the Chameleon between humbucker-P90-single coil, and the 'tone' control is actually a blend between the two pickups.  I'm still experimenting, but the ability to blend just a little bridge coil into a neck position is really flexible.

I think this might be a lifer.  Clare is getting just the slightest bit tired of me banging out Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women...

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danny_777danny_777 Frets: 662
    edited December 2020
    Congrats and happy birthday! I have recently discovered the joys of open G and completely understand the need to bang out non-stop Stones - it's impossible not to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    edited December 2020
    Nice guitar and good catch and happy birthday for Wednesday, although You Can't Always Get What You Want in time for your 40th....! 

It's a great finish and probably gives you loads of Satisfaction, but why don't you Paint it Black?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Happy birthday fella. Guitar looks very nice, proper guitar player's guitar.
  • Thanks, all.  There is something primal about hammering The Riff according to His Keefness.

Merlin: if Rich can do an emergency refin in sparkly red in the next 12 hours, would that make it a Ruby Tuesday?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    Congrats, looks great. What caused the 2 year delay? Supply issues or indecision on what parts to buy?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Lots of things!  I got the body and neck in late 2018, and wanted to get the finished body back from Rich before I made decisions about the hardware, but hadn't quite appreciated how long it takes nitro to dry.  Then did most of the rest of the ordering, umm-ed and ah-ed about pickups with Alex for quite a long time.  I then faffed about getting everything to the chap who was building it up for me, and when I finally got it there it turned out he was crazy busy and had a several month waiting list.  And then we went into Lockdown 2.0.

Worth the wait.  All I need to do now is sort out some headstock decals, and then add a few decades of natural relicing.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    And its not reliced - fab
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like it. I’m with you regarding the forearm and belly contours, too!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Well... Happy Birthday to yooooo!!
  • Happy Birthday Jamie.  I recognise that Egnater Tweaker.  Have you been enjoying it?
  • BahHumbug said:
    Happy Birthday Jamie.  I recognise that Egnater Tweaker.  Have you been enjoying it?
    Really liking it, thanks!  I can only give house room to one amp, so this little micro stack is my one-amp-to-rule-them-all.  With a greenback in one cab and a Jensen in the other, it can do a pretty good imitation of most of the classic sounds.  Hope you're both well.
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    Lovely guitar. Happy birthday.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • steersteer Frets: 1233
    Nice Rug
  • steer said:
    Nice Rug
    Fnar fnar ;-)

I should probably have hoovered up the dog's hairs first!