Bob Dylan sells back catalogue

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18900
edited December 2020 in Music
Just hearing on the news that Bob's sold his song catalogue for a 9 figure sum.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55213529
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice little retirement payment for Bob. 

Expect his songs to be cropping up in movies/adverts/TV shows for a long time. 

I wonder if this’ll mean more archive releases? 
  • Don’t understand the logic here. It’s not like he needs the money, why would he give creative control to a faceless corporation?
  • Switch625 said:
    Don’t understand the logic here. It’s not like he needs the money, why would he give creative control to a faceless corporation?
    For his family I assume.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33819
    Isn't he 78?
    Providing for his family it the most sensible justification.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    It's basically getting x number of years of royalties up front - I don't know what x is but I doubt it's insignificant even at the rate his songs must be earning. At 78 he knows he isn't likely to live more than another 20 years or so - he doesn't even need to have any health issues for that to be true - so if it's even close to that it's a good deal for him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    How can Dylan’s catalogue be worth the same as Taylor swift?
  • lukedlb said:
    Because the end is nigh...
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    lukedlb said:
    The answer my friend is blowing in the wind !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Just hearing on the news that Bob's sold his song catalogue ...
    90% of which is the first 157 verses/choruses of 'Like A Rolling Stone'
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    lukedlb said:
    That depends on how much you would pay for Taylor Swift :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14319
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It's basically getting x number of years of royalties up front - I don't know what x is but I doubt it's insignificant even at the rate his songs must be earning. At 78 he knows he isn't likely to live more than another 20 years or so - he doesn't even need to have any health issues for that to be true - so if it's even close to that it's a good deal for him.
    Plus don't the rights expire after so many years - Might be longer in the USA - Plus with streaming owning your song rights don't mean as much cash now - Nile R was on about this earlier in the week with a select group of our MP's - Sure that will solve the problem 

Bowie sold his many years before he died and I hear it was a business decision to do so based on potential future 'declining' income from owning such rights
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    Just hearing on the news that Bob's sold his song catalogue for a 9 figure sum.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55213529
    If I was a master thief perhaps I’d rob them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Times are a changing and he obviously had no Desire to hang on to them any longer 
  • A good move on his part imo.
    He’s getting on in years and ain’t going to be around for ever.
    So a nice amount of dosh for his retirement fund.
    I guess he will still get royalties every year that will also carry on to his family.

Mudcrutch said:

I guess he will still get royalties every year that will also carry on to his family.
    No, the new owners will get all the royalties. That's the whole point of buying them...

• MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    edited December 2020
    Oh I thought he had just sold the rights to produce his back catalogue future sales and copyright.

They're all selling out now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55557633

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    They're all selling out now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55557633
    Just found out about N Young earlier in the day - Missed the L Buckingham part until I read that article

Just a question/hunch - But will such investment funds have some form of foot in the door to insist that the likes of Spotify start to pay a 'fair price' for the access to such songs

Yet don't such songs only have a certain shelf life with regards to royalties - Think the UK is 50 years but might be 100 in the USA

Also, if such artists write another song/album, who then owns future credits ?