Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying an 80’s guitar.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111

Although the discussion is mostly based around "investment" guitars, there were loads of great Japanese guitars in the early 80s - Ibanez, Washburn, Yamaha, Aria Pro II. 

And in those days they were all original designs with in-house parts and hardware, much more interesting than today's guitars which all use generic off-the-shelf components (although that does make it much easier to get replacements).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2161
    The best Japanese Fenders are the domestic market only ones with a three-figure model number. Unless you have a grey imported one. I doubt you'd ever see them over here. I'm talking things like the Richie Kotzen guitars & Malmsteen Strats. Remember when Ishibashi first started to sell Mexican Fenders, they upgraded the pickups in them. I get the impression that the Japanese consumer is a bit more discerning. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    TheMarlin said:

He’s quite wealthy, but his wife keeps him in check.  Hence, investment potential means he gets to buy an electric guitar without going to war with his Mrs. 
    I still don't get it unless he married into the wealth. Why would his wife care if he spends a few quid on a guitar?
    They work together, and earn well together.  His wife holds the purse strings.  He’s a super conscientious guy. He wants an electric, but can’t justify it to himself given his rudimentary skills.  Buying a guitar that’s going to increase in value (over time) doubles his argument (to himself and to his wife) for buying the guitar. 

Don’t worry about the whys and wherefores, it’s a genuine situation. 

I get the feeling he likes Fenders more than Gibsons.  My advice to him would be a Gibson ES195, but I think he’s more after a Fender fan. He owned a tele years back, and loved it. 

So, we need to agree on a start, tele, Jaguar etc that he should consider. 

Appreciate all the suggestions so far 

edited December 2020

Apologies if I've skipped over some posts, but why '80s in particular, is it a date of birth thing?

If not, why not consider a more recent AVRI or even Custom Shop Fender?  Buy used and they'll at least keep their value, even if they don't greatly appreciate.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    I always say buy something that inspires or lights up some passion in you. 
    If need be buy secondhand carefully so you can sell for what you paid but please stop thinking of guitars like a banker - guitars are meant to be played and to make you get carried away making music. 
    Fun costs you (as a night out at the pub or cinema will prove) and if you start adding up the cost of your guitar habit (or your significant other does) so you add the price of the new strings and a few guitar picks and a new pickup and a strap and a lead and keep tally like a demented book-keeper for fear that you don't break even.

I do get the impression that our guitar habits are viewed as childish habits or hobbies or a fad  that "should have passed by now".
    If we treated or dismissed our SO's obsessions and habits and hobbies the same way I'm sure that there would be trouble.....even if it's their handbags and gladrags

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    edited December 2020
    Philly_Q said:

Apologies if I've skipped over some posts, but why '80s in particular, is it a date of birth thing?

If not, why not consider a more recent AVRI or even Custom Shop Fender?  Buy used and they'll at least keep their value, even if they don't greatly appreciate.

Because 70’s models have skyrocketed in price, doesn’t have to be 80’s, just something we think will make a profit if he ever decides to sell, but isn’t prohibitively expensive right now....and of course, fun to play. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1492
    My vote would be a pre 94 PRS. Perhaps a decent EG which should be well under £1k and are nice guitars. 80s Customs and Standards are quite expensive already. You known what you're getting, they're superb quality and have already appreciated. Keep it clean and they'll only go one way.

JV Strats are decent Strats, but not worth the money they're going for. I sold a mint one recently for silly money, and it wasn't worth half that IMHO. You can buy way better Strats for far less cash.

Not my cuppa, but what about a Jackson Super Strat? They were properly 80s guitars.

• If good guitar + rudimentary skills = waste of money in his mind, surely the trick is to buy something which can be sold without loss, rather than something that would potentially make money?

I used PRS Core, Suhr or Anderson will always pay you back, as long as you don’t over-pay when buying.
    I do get the impression that our guitar habits are viewed as childish habits or hobbies or a fad  that "should have passed by now".

I must admit I think that myself, quite a lot of the time.  But it's hard to kick the habit.  And it would leave an empty, end-of-an-era feeling.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:

I must admit I think that myself, quite a lot of the time.  But it's hard to kick the habit.  And it would leave an empty, end-of-an-era feeling.
    I think lockdown has had many of us revisit hobbies and past interests as there is only so much TV you can watch.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    Steinberger?
  • liamonliamon Frets: 105
    90's Gibson is your best bet, check out my Reverb listings! ;)
    Link? 
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:
    As an investment, 90's might be better.  They seem to be cheaper than the better 80's models, and the production was probably more sorted by then so the quality is likely to be better.

They are over 20 years old so it's only a matter of time before "vintage" dealers start to ask more for the "mojo" of an old guitar.
    90s Fenders aren't going to be a good bet - that's the era of block & veneer bodies.

Talk me through “block & veneer”? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    edited December 2020
    liamon said:

Talk me through “block & veneer”? 
    The bodies are made from multiple fairly narrow blocks of wood, usually at least six, with veneers front and back. It's only noticeable visually on the sunbursts, where the dark burst on the back follows the inner edge of the contour rather than the edge of the body, to hide the joins - on the front, the veneer is formed to the shape of the contour because the curve is only in one plane.

This is how the Strat bodies were made -

This is what the sunburst backs look like -

Some people think it affects the tone even when you can't see it, although I'm not convinced - but it does affect the perception of the value.

It was used from some time in the very early 90s I think - some people say late 80s, although I've never personally seen one that early, but I may be wrong - until 2000, when it had gained a bad reputation and Fender made a point of dropping it, as well as the rectangular 'swimming pool' pickup rout, when the US range was updated. (Some Mexican models used it for much longer, which will be why the bodies above are dated 2006.)

I think they will always be perceived as inferior rightly or wrongly, so personally I would not consider one to be a good investment unless it was in one of the rare and desirable finishes which were only made in that period.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Very interesting thank you! 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    I'm sure I remember fender claiming it would be 3-5 pieces higher up the range, up to 9 at the lower end.

Its a great idea from a resource perspective.