Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do people have preferences and/reasons for 21 over 22 frets on strats ?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 735
edited December 2020 in Guitar
I get that 24 frets is a different aesthetic, and causes placement limitations with regard to the neck pickup - however I do wonder why people might choose 21 frets over 22?

Only thing I can think is if you’re doing a strict traditional style and you think 22 looks odd. 

I like I can get the high e from the 22nd if I want to ... and I feel like as it doesn’t harm anything (or does it) why not get a free fret?

It surprised me seeing most of the used necks and even custom builders will make 21 more than 22. 

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497

There's a solo in a song my band used to play which has the high D bent up to E. Nearly impossible on a 21-fret guitar - you have to pre-bend a semitone, then bend another full tone, which with an 11-gauge E and that hand position, is not going to happen.

When I played it on a 21-fret guitar I did manage to fake it by playing it at the 10th fret and forcing the octave harmonic, which worked... mostly :).

The 'Strat' I have now has a full-length 22-fret neck though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Not bothered - Hard to recall ever playing that last fret, so far up the fingerboard !!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    This one goes to 22!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    On Fenders I think the overhang on 22 fret necks looks ungainly. Due to the aesthetics and being of the school that anything past the 15th is just showing off, I have a slight preference for 21 frets but it’s really not that big a deal.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1244
    I never really get that high, and never really feel like I’m missing another one, or three. I do prefer the traditional 21 fret look daft as it sounds 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    21 for me.

(1) I never play that high up the neck;
    (2) That bloody lip makes it really hard to get the scratchplate off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • There’s no money above the 15th fret...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    edited December 2020

I like 22.  Because it's one extra, and I think it looks good too, covers up that gap you sometimes get between the scratchplate and the end of the fretboard.  21 is fine, though.

There are two things I wish I'd spec'd differently on my CS Strat - I should've had 22 frets, and I should've had this type of neck heel/plate:

Regular neck on contoured heel body  Telecaster Guitar Forum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Don't think I've ever played past the 15th fret let alone the 21st.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    22 for me, simply because a lot of guitar stuff is in E and A and the high D bent up to E is very useful in those keys. Not that is deterred EVH ... I don't actually know but it sounds as though he bends up the C# to E on the end of the Beat is solo so I guess that was a 21 fret guitar ? 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I get a nosebleed past 19, 21 is plenty
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited December 2020
    I recently appeared in a video, miming a part that I’d recorded on a 22 fret PRS, on a 21 fret Strat. I can honestly say, it’s the first time I ever cared about one extra fret - and only because when I relearned my improvised solo, I realised I’d used the 22nd fret. 

As a basis of choosing a Strat, I don’t think the presence or absence of a 22nd fret would factor into my decision at all.
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    Much prefer 21 without fretboard overhang - don’t find I get up that high often enough to worry about it either.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1409
    always 21. any song that *needs* that high D probably sucks.

not like it's easy to get up there without arachnodactyly anyway
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5321
    I think only dogs and special equipment can hear anything higher than the 17th fret anyway...so 21 for me...plus 6 screw pivot and split post tuners :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only just counted my frets after reading this. Never thought about it before. 
  • Between 3 Strats and a Tele I have 2 21 fret necks and 2 22 fret necks.  Aesthetically I prefer 21, but i happily live with both.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    bbill335 said:
    always 21. any song that *needs* that high D probably sucks.

not like it's easy to get up there without arachnodactyly anyway
    I think it mattered for the song I played with it - that particular screamy high note really added a lot to the song. I have tiny hands too... and I can still do it on a Les Paul. You just have to be determined to reach it. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FezFez Frets: 577
    I have both but never really worried about it.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    My original 1969 Strat is 21 frets. My 2009 US limited edition Strat, and 2004 US 50th deluxe Strat are 22 frets.  I do play at the dusty end and I really miss the 22nd fret on my '69, and also on my recently acquired Harley Benton Tele. There are some things that are just more awkward on 21 frets.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)