PRS SE 35th Anniversary vs S2

What's Hot
BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
Has anyone played the PRS 35 Anniversary guitars?
they look stunning and I like the mini toggles but as the prices are similar to a used S2 custom, how would they compare to an S2?
What would you recommend?
that old thing called GAS eh...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've not tried either. But I do find SE models much more attractive than the S2 versions. 

• I've not tried either. But I do find SE models much more attractive than the S2 versions. 
    Same here... Either go slight bevel on the body edges (a la SE) or full violin carve. I find the wider bevel on S2s a bit unseemly from an aesthetic point of view.

And to be honest, while the core violin carve looks dead sexy, I actually find the SE carve more comfortable as there's no hard edge on your forearm.

Big caveat: I've never played an S2. If you do indeed get the feel/ring of a core at half the price, then that should be a no brainer, aesthetics be damned.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • I'd take the used S2 over a new SE. The finishes on the SE's are still a bit too thick for my liking, and not all of the SE's come with locking tuners either. Other than that it's much of a much-ness, as the hardware and electronics are largely interchangeable between the two. I do prefer the inlay material that's used on the S2s as well though, plus a used S2 isn't likely to depreciate any further than what you pay up front.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Going by the "gear in/out" thread, I doubt it will be long before 35th Anniversary SE's are available used, if they aren't already.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 2000
    You've sorta nailed it accidentally there. The S2 range really are a "players" guitar. The sound and playability (- a few % ) of a core, but without as much bling. 

I really like the cut of the S2 models and they play a dream . 
    At this point the SE, S2 and core are all brilliant (and consistant) guitars 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    I have an upgraded SE 25th Anniversary Custom 24 and a couple of the S2 series models. The S2 models feel nicer in the hands but I would happily gig or record with either series.

With the SE series, I find that the bigger the neck, the better the sound - especially with P90s.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3495
    I’ve owned all but private stock in the world of PRS and I’d take an S2 over anything any day of the week. I particularly like the satin finished models the most. 
    The feel great and wear very quickly. 
  • I have 2016 S2 Singlecut and a Bernie SE. I love them both. The SE is no way inferior to the S2 other than the tuners which I replaced on the Bernie. Both of mine have BK pickups. 
  • I've got a very old SE CU 22 that I can take or leave really. Find the flat top a little boring, but I like the moon inlays.

I've got an SE Singlecut (it's in my avatar) that's just a year or so old and is really lovely. I really do like the current SE guitars, I just wish the colours were a bit more varied or interesting. More burst options for example. 

grungebob said:
    I’ve owned all but private stock in the world of PRS and I’d take an S2 over anything any day of the week. I particularly like the satin finished models the most. 
    I wonder if there's any world other than guitars where poor durability is seen as a benefit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 1018
    thegummy said:
    Going by the "gear in/out" thread, I doubt it will be long before 35th Anniversary SE's are available used, if they aren't already.

one in one out would likely be where I would be too :D 
    grungebob said:

I've not seen one of the satin finished ones, which one do you have?
    Is it satin on the neck or the body finish?
    My US Elite strat is satin ice blue for the body and looks amazing, the neck is satin urethane and is silky smooth to play
    BlueStrat said:
    grungebob said:

My US Elite strat is satin ice blue for the body and looks amazing, the neck is satin urethane and is silky smooth to play
    Satin all over, felt great in the hand. 

thegummy said:
    grungebob said:
    I wonder if there's any world other than guitars where poor durability is seen as a benefit
    Jeans?

the guitar is such a tactile instrument anything the wears to my form and improves my interaction with it is a benefit I my book. 
  • thegummy said:
    grungebob said:
    Personal lubricants???
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited December 2020
    The S2 is probably my favourite PRS range out of those I could actually afford the pattern regular neck profile is just so comfy and I much prefer the simpler/less tacky look and finishes with dot inlay etc. I would like to see a standard 22 dot inlay in hardtail and without the pickguard though but I get that would put the prices up!

I only wish that they were part of the SE range instead. I don't like that the SE are mostly just budget versions of the high end tacky PRS guitars. I can see why they've done it, to give players who can't afford the full PRS core experience a taste of the action, but I'd rather have the more basic S2 style aesthetics at a more affordable price. SE are still nice guitars but I didn't really get on with the wide/fat profile they put on all but a few models. I think I prefer the more subtle SE body carve as well.
    grungebob said:

thegummy said:
    grungebob said:
    Jeans?

the guitar is such a tactile instrument anything the wears to my form and improves my interaction with it is a benefit I my book. 
    Just to clarify I wasn't rubbishing your preference, it's as valid as anything if that's what you prefer. It is none the less an interestingly strange thing as well :)

Re: jeans - they do have the similarity of the relic/distressed thing where it's common to buy brand new ones that have been artificially made to look as if they're already worn out.

But, as far as I know, people don't buy jeans that start off in good condition but are made in a way where they'll wear out more quickly.

I have, though, just remembered something - when I was interested in karate, I heard of people deliberately buying black belts made of a specific weak type of silk that wears away quickly (and even doing things to it to speed the process along) because there are old guys who have been doing karate for decades whose belts have all worn away to basically be like the equivalent of "relic".
    thegummy said:
    grungebob said:

thegummy said:
    grungebob said:
    Jeans?

Just to clarify I wasn't rubbishing your preference, it's as valid as anything if that's what you prefer. It is none the less an interestingly strange thing as well :)

Re: jeans - they do have the similarity of the relic/distressed thing where it's common to buy brand new ones that have been artificially made to look as if they're already worn out.

But, as far as I know, people don't buy jeans that start off in good condition but are made in a way where they'll wear out more quickly.

I have, though, just remembered something - when I was interested in karate, I heard of people deliberately buying black belts made of a specific weak type of silk that wears away quickly (and even doing things to it to speed the process along) because there are old guys who have been doing karate for decades whose belts have all worn away to basically be like the equivalent of "relic".
    I didn’t take it you meant it in a bad way more of a question. 
    Boots, walking boots in particular you buy new but then want them to break-in and wear to form improved comfort?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:

Boots, walking boots in particular you buy new but then want them to break-in and wear to form improved comfort?
    That's actually a good example.
    grungebob said:
    BlueStrat said:
    grungebob said:

Satin all over, felt great in the hand. 

Your Cu22 on the left is a thing of beauty. I noticed your s2 is a 24, do you notice any difference in feel or sound going between them? I’d guess neither one is better, just different. 
    My PRS has a pattern thin, do you know how that compares to the S2 or new SE?