Marantz Amp - Can anyone recommend where to get repaired?

duotoneduotone Frets: 983
It’s an old model that’s about 15 years old - https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/shop/amplifier/pm7200?status=discontinue

When I switch it on, nothing happens, the ‘On’ light does not come on & there is no sound coming through the speakers.

I’ve tried contacting these: https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/support/serviceinformation

Just wondered if anyone had any luck in the past.  As I would prefer to use somewhere based on recommendation. A couple reviews for SST basically said “They kept it for 6 weeks & I had to go and get it back unrepaired”.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Checked plug fuse first? Any other fuses?
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    No I haven’t changed the plug fuse, but I give that a try @Winny_Pooh ;
    I really don’t wanna open it up tbh.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Where are you based?
    scrumhalf said:
    Where are you based?
    NW London
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Checked plug fuse first? Any other fuses?
    Seriously have you checked the fuse?
    KDS said:
    Checked plug fuse first? Any other fuses?
    Seriously have you checked the fuse?
    I will do, I’m going to buy some tomorrow.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    If it’s blown a fuse it’s far more likely it’s the one inside the unit, which will be a much lower value than the plug fuse, even if that’s 3A. It won’t hurt to check the plug fuse but I would expect it to be fine.

If an internal fuse has blown, the question would be why - it’s very unusual, although not completely unknown, for a fuse to blow unless there’s something else wrong with the unit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I took my NAD amp here recently, might be a bit far for you though.

http://www.goodwayselectronics.co.uk/
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    @duotone ;Sure essex amp repairs in witham could make you a happy bunny but again they are a long way from you. Check out their website. If you ever get Romford way I will be taking two amps for repair to them soon so could drop yours off and pick up with mine. Just holla if you need anything
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    There is a bloke near me in Leamington so you might have to post. Want his number?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Not sure where in the SE these people are but they do Marantz -

A common Marantz fault is the internal power supply dies.

There's a guy I used in Surbiton for my cassette decks - I'll see if I casn find his details again.
    rsvmark said:
    There is a bloke near me in Leamington so you might have to post. Want his number?
    Yeah @rsvmark ;
    If you have a number handy that would be useful, might help someone else with a similar problem in the future too.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I’m much more hopeful of getting it back working again with all of these options.

Cheers!  Will let you know how I get on getting it sorted in the new year.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    duotone said:
    rsvmark said:
    Yeah @rsvmark ;
    If you have a number handy that would be useful, might help someone else with a similar problem in the future too.

@duotone pm sent matey
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • jdgm said:

There's a guy I used in Surbiton for my cassette decks - I'll see if I casn find his details again.
    They are in Coulsdon. I contacted them about fixing my NAD amp and they never replied.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • jdgm said:

They are in Coulsdon. I contacted them about fixing my NAD amp and they never replied.
    I got in touch with this guy around Christmas and he gave me an estimate to fix my NAD 314 of £200 and £400 for a full service. That was a bit steep I thought so I contacted the local NAD stockist (Sevenoaks Audio) and they put me in touch with this guy based in Wallington:

https://g.co/kgs/ZEHgqk

Just got my NAD back and he charged me £50 to fix the fault and check the whole unit over. I just given him my NAD 3020i to fix a few issues and a general check over too.
    My amp is working fine & I didn’t need to bring it anywhere for repair in the end. It was the bloody fuse in the plug that just needed changing.

After chatting to a local Hi-Fi shop (NW London) they recommended http://www.highviewvideo.co.uk/ who now works from his home workshop. Hope this will help someone else further down the line. 

Cheers for all your recommendations, I really appreciate it.
    I would check the power cable very carefully for damage, all along its length and especially where it goes into the amp - it’s extremely rare for a mains fuse to just fail for no reason, and it’s possible the cable has been crushed or kinked and the insulation has split internally and allowed a short.

It *may* just be a bad fuse though - it’s not impossible. What value was it?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2021
    @ICBM ;;
    Thanks for that, I will give the cable a check over.
    The fuse was 3 Amp & had been in the plug since new.  If you mean £ value, the amp cost me £250 when I bought it new in 2004.
    We did have a power cut just over a year ago, could that have caused the plugs fuse to blow?
    Just about possible, if the amp was powered up at the time and the voltage surged when it came back on. Or it could just be a coincidence.

If the cable doesn’t appear to be damaged at all it’s probably fine. Use a 3A fuse not 13A though.