How Much??

What's Hot

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1233
    FFS - Cut the ends of the strings .  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I've had a couple of Antorias that I quite liked but not 500 quid's worth of like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited December 2020
    And certainly not 900 quids worth, right?

Jeez!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Not for a bolt-on, arched ply top one with the machineheads changed (I think). Even with the original case...

£300-£400 maybe, if it plays nicely and there's a nostalgic buyer around. And that's still optimistic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    Just be grateful that the seller has refrained from using the "L" word. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I don’t think these are worth more than the £120 or so they used to fetch in the 80s, even to the deep-pocketed nostalgic. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Not for a bolt-on, arched ply top one with the machineheads changed (I think). Even with the original case...

£300-£400 maybe, if it plays nicely and there's a nostalgic buyer around. And that's still optimistic.
    I saw a white LP Custom style the other day for sale - CSL - So almost certainly from the same factory - Sold for around £250 - But again bolt on neck and those cheaper tuners - For a minute, based on nostalgia, I had a sniff - But such prices IMO are a bit north of what I'm happy with 
  • £150-ish max, IMHO.

I bought 2 last year - White and Sunburst bolt-on neck Antoria Customs. £100 and £75 respectively.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Those Antorias have a sound of their own IMHO - closer to a 335 than a Les Paul. I don't get the love for the Maxon pickups though - they're a bit "all balls and no brain" IMHO... 
    They're a £200 guitar, max... folks are just getting silly with asking prices. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Those Antorias have a sound of their own IMHO - closer to a 335 than a Les Paul. I don't get the love for the Maxon pickups though - they're a bit "all balls and no brain" IMHO... 
    They're a £200 guitar, max... folks are just getting silly with asking prices. 
    agree there is some more 'articulation' about them and less girth in the mids

Agree about the Maxon pick-ups - I sometimes think owners/sellers/players are using some form of comment/knowledge to be more about them trying to sound 'intellectual' without having anything good to tell you - I don't get the hype attached to such p/ups and they have no magical fairy dust about them IMO - Yet they are not crap
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    I don’t think these are worth more than the £120 or so they used to fetch in the 80s, even to the deep-pocketed nostalgic. 
    I've seen the 2-pickup ones sell in the £250-£350 range, so I think some nostalgics are deeper-pocketed than you think (or that they should have the sense to be, perhaps :) ).

I admit that a lot of this does include a professional set-up including fretwork, often a new nut, and a lot of stripping down and repairing things like screw holes, so you're paying for that as much as the guitar itself. But they can actually be pretty decent players, as long as you don't mind the slightly honky arched-ply-top tone.

I know things like new Epiphone Les Pauls are technically better guitars, but to me they just don't have the character, and can be quite clunky and need work themselves... I was just working on one today, awful thing - overly heavy and just dull.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I've seen the 2-pickup ones sell in the £250-£350 range, so I think some nostalgics are deeper-pocketed than you think (or that they should have the sense to be, perhaps :) ).

I admit that a lot of this does include a professional set-up including fretwork, often a new nut, and a lot of stripping down and repairing things like screw holes, so you're paying for that as much as the guitar itself. But they can actually be pretty decent players, as long as you don't mind the slightly honky arched-ply-top tone.

I know things like new Epiphone Les Pauls are technically better guitars, but to me they just don't have the character, and can be quite clunky and need work themselves... I was just working on one today, awful thing - overly heavy and just dull.
    agree they can be made better - Commercially not worth it for me as I can't charge enough for my time within the final cost of the project and still make a profit  - But fine on a DIY basis and/or as some fun - But agree they have some character, certainly over a new/current Epi - But is that real or nostalgia ? - Maybe both
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I had a Vantage LP-type (not really a copy) that was a bolt-on neck and I think arched-ply top. That was quite a nice guitar compared to the endless Aria/Hondo/Columbus black LP Customs that were also around at the time. I paid £120 (including the sturdiest case I’ve ever owned) for it in Andy’s on Denmark Street in 1983. I wouldn’t want one now though.