Guitar buying advice from nerds please - not a newbie question

What's Hot
allenallen Frets: 834
Hi all,

Grateful for the collective wisdom of the group here as I'd like to add a guitar with a Floyd Rose to the stable, but a bit unsure of the direction to take.

Background: I've got about a dozen guitars and they're generally, although not all, quite high end (i.e. a couple of Tom Andersons and a Huber in my collection). I'm a home player and have never played anything more than a couple of Van Halen riffs as I tend to play Hendrix/SRV/Sayce kind of things - so I'm dipping a toe in the water here and plan to use the guitar to inspire me to learn a few EVH style things. The cost of the guitar isn't the issue as I budget my guitars in terms of loss on resale, not initial investment.

So I'm thinking about a guitar with a Floyd and not quite sure of the direction to go in considering the main options. I tend to be fairly picky about guitars so I don't play guitars with 25.5 scale length, only 24.75 or 25 at a push. I also tend to like a neck on the chunky side.

When trying to buy a 24.75 scale guitar with a floyd there is not that much choice on the market - although I have found a fair few.

I've ruled out an older jackson/charvel fusion as the ones I've looked at on ebay (a lot) always seem a bit tatty. Here are the main choices as I currently see it.

1. GJ2 Shredder. Grover Jackson's take on the super shredder can be bought new for about £650. Thin neck but good reputation for quality and nice spec. Will lose about 300 on resale.

2. Various les paul types. ESP/LTD or an Epiphone ProFX. I'm not totally convinced about the les paul shape with a floyd, although see 3. Won't lose on resale if I buy it second hand - fairly good supply of them on ebay. I suspect that they all have thin necks.

3. Gibson or Epiphone Alex Lifeson. I have once played a Gibson Alex Lifeson and the neck felt a bit thin to me. Advantage is the piezo system and a high quality graphtec floyd. Should have a good resale in the long run, but a bit thin on the ground and the price seems to be in the top half of 2 to 3k. I mention Epiphone because they have shown a version at Namm 2020, but it has not surfaced yet. I am expecting this namm season in 2021.

4. Partscaster strat. This appeals to me quite a lot because I can spec a chunky neck and would quite like a relic stratocaster with a floyd from someone like SC relics. I can spec the neck size just to my requirements and I am fairly handy with a soldering iron and can do my own set up. Can also put high end hardware on it. Downside is that I am guessing it will cost me about £1200 and I'd be lucky to get back half of that on resale.

I warned you that this was a nerd question! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments