NGD 62 Custom Telecaster type double bound piano black and ivory

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2505
edited December 2020 in Guitar

Another lock down keepin’-busy build. A '62 Custom Telecaster type double bound piano black and ivory.

Neck is an All Parts C maple and rosewood with 10” radius vintage tall frets. Rolled edges and oil treated. Gotoh vintage nickel tuners. I finished it in tinted Tru-Oil. Bone nut cut by me.

Body is Northwest Guitars American Ash finished in thin poly piano black gloss and ivory binding.

Fender ’62 Custom bridge, hardware and bridge pickup.

Used Fender ’64 Pure Vintage neck pickup (I like this pairing a lot, note have to reverse wire it for in phase)

Pickguard is Axecaster Mint green. Used USA switch CTS pots orange drop cap. used USA control plate and nickel knobs. used Fender MIM neck plate and screws

Nice weight 7 and half pounds and balanced, easy player and sounds just like it should. Cost under 520: neck 159 body 179 tuner 32 pickups 80, harness 20, hardware 40, nut 4.

IMG_7427JPG
IMG_7399JPG
IMG_7403JPG
IMG_7435JPG
IMG_7404JPG
IMG_7411JPG
IMG_7439JPG
IMG_7424JPG
IMG_7435JPG
IMG_7418JPG

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice, love a double bound 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks great. I’ve been looking at these bodies myself but was wondering about the finish thickness. I wonder if that’s consistent across their range. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Looks amazing! Is there anything that gives “piano black” its meaning or is it just a descriptor for a high gloss black finish?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2505
    That looks great. I’ve been looking at these bodies myself but was wondering about the finish thickness. I wonder if that’s consistent across their range. 
    Dunno but I'd heard they were a thin finish. I could see the see the thin finish in the neck pocket. It'sreasonably lively too and I was concerned it might not be as I usually only use nitro bodies. It's a good price. No complaints here.  It does scratch quite easily but that's to be expected.

Note the neck pickup wiring routing goes through to the bridge pickup well and then down to the control plate. It's a little tight... plus you have to have the full neck pickup cable as it is a longer journey. I used a pre-used neck pickup and there was only just enough cable to solder. I also had to make my own heel truss adjustment groove as I like to able to adjust without breaking the neck out of the pocket. 
    Whitecat said:
    Looks amazing! Is there anything that gives “piano black” its meaning or is it just a descriptor for a high gloss black finish?

Actually that's just what I call it. They say:
    "Black Gloss Telecaster Body, 2-Piece American Swamp Ash, With Cream Binding" 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    Perfect look for me. Great job! 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited December 2020
    I normally don't like black guitars, but with the ivory double bound edges that's a really smart looking Tele and I love it. Great job.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    I normally don't like black guitars, but with the ivory double bound edges that's a really smart looking Tele and I love it. Great job.
    Yes the binding really makes the world of difference, doesn't it? Gives it class and elegance.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    edited December 2020
    Love it. That is cool as...
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2831
    That’s a lovely guitar