Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Coily cables (I'm absolutely livid!)

What's Hot

Comments

• I can't believe no-one is taking this seriously :angry: 

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Yes, it’s all a bit dull...

What you really need to do to sound like Hendrix is use full-length curly cables as patch leads between all your effects pedals... then you’ll notice .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    edited December 2020
    I know my coily cable weighed a lot and has pulled out a few jack plates whilst I'm gigging, I still use it though as I find I trip over it less then my straight cables. A very heavy cable, and you don't realise until you unplug it just how much it drags your guitar downwards, great for negating headstock dive!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Hendrix was inspired to write a song about the crosstalk parameters of coily cables. Crosstown Traffic.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    ICBM said:

What you really need to do to sound like Hendrix is use full-length curly cables as patch leads between all your effects pedals... then you’ll notice .
    What you really need to do to sound like Hendrix is practice your ass off. Every day for many, many years. Then practise some more. 

Then get a curly cable. 
  • Wait, were the cables African or European?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Curly leads are evil.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28447
    jdgm said:
    Curly leads are evil.
    Possibly - but we were discussing coily cables.  None of that odd curly stuff.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    It's a guitar hero thing surely (not the game) - Brian May, Paul Gilbert etc
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited December 2020
    merlin said:
    ICBM said:

What you really need to do to sound like Hendrix is practice your ass off. Every day for many, many years. Then practise some more. 

Then get a curly cable. 
    I think where he went wrong in the test is that @TTony ;didn't use the exact same plectrum as Jimi or hold the guitar behind his head, but most importantly he didn't use his teeth to pluck the strings, where he'd then have heard a variation in floss capacitance. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited December 2020
    @WiresDreamDisasters , actually the fact of the matter is that coiled cables act as inductors, as do all coiled wires (ie coils) (Paul, 2019) and as such affect tone.  Press here if you would like to know more.

References
    Paul, C. (2009) Inductance: Loop and Partial. 1st edition. [Online]. Somerset: Wiley.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    Voxman said:
    I think where he went wrong in the test is that @TTony ;didn't use the exact same plectrum as Jimi or hold the guitar behind his head, but most importantly he didn't use his teeth to pluck the strings, where he'd then have heard a variation in floss capacitance. 
    He must have very Sensodyne hearing. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
    Voxman said:
    merlin said:
    ICBM said:

Then get a curly cable. 
    I can play with my teeth....

.... but I have to take them out first!

I'll get my coat.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    As already pointed out - which way the coil goes makes a huge difference to tone. Clockwise for Hendrix; Counterclockwise for those Thames Delta Wilko Johnson sounds.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 628
    They give More of a springy sound :)
    HAL9000 said:
    As already pointed out - which way the coil goes makes a huge difference to tone. Clockwise for Hendrix; Counterclockwise for those Thames Delta Wilko Johnson sounds.
    But for Drew it will be the other way round, because he plays a reverse guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    I have a coily Lava cable. It’s lovely and expensive. 
    But I do notice quite a significant loss of brightness when I use it in my rig. It’s definitely an audible loss in comparison to one of my fat-cored Van Dammes. There’s definitely a change in brightness. No one could convince me otherwise on this one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nerine said:
    I have a coily Lava cable. It’s lovely and expensive. 
    But I do notice quite a significant loss of brightness when I use it in my rig. It’s definitely an audible loss in comparison to one of my fat-cored Van Dammes. There’s definitely a change in brightness. No one could convince me otherwise on this one. 
    To be serious for a minute, you're absolutely correct - but it depends on the type and quality of the coily cable, and length of cable you're comparing it to.

Firstly as p90fool said, the difference is purely due to capacitance and is directly related to length - a typical '10 foot' coily cable is actually about 30 feet long, if you pull it out straight, so a coily cable will have about three times the capacitance of a straight 10' cable, and 50% more than a 20' one.

Secondly, capacitance is *not* directly related to quality. It's largely a function of the thickness of the insulator layer, and slightly of the exact type of plastic, although there isn't that much difference between the various materials - which means that generally, a fat cable with a thick insulator will have lower capacitance, and a thinner cable - like traditional coily cables - higher.

BUT it depends on how much shielding there is... if the shielding layer doesn't completely surround the core, its surface area - which is the other factor other than separation and insulator material which determines the capacitance - will be much smaller and hence the capacitance lower. And if you look inside many old coily cables you will find very poor shielding made from only a few strands of copper wire, not an overlapped or braided shield - in other words, *lower* capacitance.

Hence it is entirely possible that a cheap coily cable could have exactly the same capacitance as a shorter high-quality straight cable, and thus will sound the same.

The real trick with cable manufacture - and why low capacitance is usually associated with high quality - it because it's hard to make a cable with *both* proper shielding *and* low capacitance. But in fact, the worst possible cable you could use from a shielding point of view - plain parallel two-core - has very low capacitance.

And in fact, high-quality, well-shielded coily cables do have very noticeable treble roll-off if you compare them to straight cables which are really much shorter. The guitarist in my band has an old Whirlwind one which sounds like turning the tone control down halfway, and I guarantee anyone with properly functioning ears will hear it.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Let’s all remember that some household name guitarists use a coily cable and it forms part of their sound due to a (subtle) pre-EQ before the guitar signal hits the amplifier. 
    A coily cable into a bright Vox could be a good generalised example. 

• Nerine said:
    Let’s all remember that some household name guitarists use a coily cable and it forms part of their sound due to a (subtle) pre-EQ before the guitar signal hits the amplifier. 
    A coily cable into a bright Vox could be a good generalised example. 

I have a GigRig Z Cable, which allows you to emulate different cable lengths, and it really is a sort of pre-eq; a longer cable is definitely more appropriate with some amps.

I took a punt on it a few years ago for 80 quid on EBay, even though there weren’t any good demos of it online, and was very pleasantly surprised.