PRS Dragon’s Breath Finish?

What's Hot
For my upcoming PRS style project, I’m going to attempt to stain the top in a similar pattern to the PRS Dragon’s Breath finish:

https://www.soundaffects.com/images/products/1572003264-56523800.jpg

I understand how to get the pattern and blend the colours to avoid hard lines, but one thing I’m trying to determine is whether I should first stain with a black or brown, sand back and then stain with the red/yellow/orange on top. I know this can be used to make it pop, and it looks like that was probably the case in the example above. But I have two questions:

1. Do you think I should use black or brown? I’ve heard that brown may be a bit more subtle but could also muddy the colours?

2. In the example, the figure is popping a lot more under the red. I’m not sure whether this is just due to the red being darker than the orange/yellow, or whether they didn’t do an undercoat of black or brown in the yellow / they sanded it back more heavily in the centre where the yellow is. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Ernie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    edited December 2020
    I avoid black for any initial stain as it can kill the 3D effect the flame has in the flesh.    Brown can certainly muddy things.   Go for the darkest colour you actually want to see, so a very deep red/oxblood colour should work here 

Don't do any prestaining on that middle yellow section.. or even the orange
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @WezV !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom