£1.6k PRS SE anyone?...

What's Hot
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-ultimate-non-private-stock-PRS-Bernie-Marsden-in-Vintage-Sunburst-57-08s-/164557315850?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I think someone's about to figure out that trying to get back the (new) cost of every single upgrade done to a guitar is bound to fail.

Actually, by a quick calculation you could buy a used Marsden, get the parts (even the ludicrously expensive PRS ones) new and get the best tech to do it all up for well under that. And I'm not even saying this is a good idea - just buy a used core singlecut for not a lot more.

Anyway...
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm sure those "core" pickup rings will make all the difference in the world.

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'm sure those "core" pickup rings will make all the difference in the world.
    Hard to believe how gullible some people are.

He's a salesman's dream.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    To be fair he has shortened the pickup springs. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
    Collection only of course. Too far for me else I’d have had it..
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15278
    edited December 2020
    I'm sure those "core" pickup rings will make all the difference in the world.
    My SE Custom 24 left the factory with generic MIK black plastic surrounds. One too tall, the other too skinny. To make my guitar look more like a Core model, I purchased two similarly generic MIK tall cream surrounds and got busy with a scraper and a sanding block.

The whole point of signature model SE instruments is to make them affordable to fans on a budget. This is not to say that the SE Marsden is not a good guitar in its own right. Just that pimping it is pointless if you are not going to keep it.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    It is actually a nice looking guitar though.

I really like the PRS pickup rings, they don't work on this guitar though as they're clearly not high enough.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    One for the trainee dentists?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I paid £510 for my Bernie five years ago. Put in BK Abraxas pickups - £230 and changed the tuners - £45. £1600 is beyond ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought an SE singlecut last year for £500 I. A sale. The pickups are great, there's nothing I'd really change. 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    edited December 2020
    They did a limited run years ago with 53/10s that only retailed for £999. High for an SE at the time but I would argue those pickups are worth more as they are unobtainium now. 57/08s are a dime a dozen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    Saw this a few days ago and it's laughable. I'm guilty of pimping up my Bernie - Mannmade bridge, BKP Mules, push-pulls, locking tuners - but I plan on keeping it, and know if ever I were to sell it I'd need to get it back to stock and sell the parts separately to get even close to half what I've spent back.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom