Was there such a thing as a Mexican 1962 Reissue Strat?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1221
I drunkenly bid on a guitar on ebay and forgot about it until my phone notified me of the final price and i'd won it. Lake Placid Blue with a rosewood 'board. It is apparently a '62 Reissue but did this model ever exist? Serial number places it late 2000/early 2001.

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Probably a Classic Series. Made in Mexico, rosewood, LPB was one of the colours available, 7.25" radius, 21 frets, 6 screws bridge, generic alnico staggered pickups. Good guitars. How much did you pay for it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3897
    What he says ^
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, classic series 60s strat. Unlikely to be disappointed with that. Body contours might be a bit blockier on these early-2000s ones, but that's really nitpicking. You should be getting a decently dark rosewood board too.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    MIM re-issues tend not to be year specific in the way that American and Japanese ones try to be. 

The eBay guitar is probably a "Sixties" model, incorrectly described by the seller.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    Probably a Classic Series. Made in Mexico, rosewood, LPB was one of the colours available, 7.25" radius, 21 frets, 6 screws bridge, generic alnico staggered pickups. Good guitars. How much did you pay for it?
    £400. Aside from Olympic White, LPB is my second favourite colour for a strat.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Good price for what should be a nice guitar. People are starting to ask silly prices for these now - £700 when they were £500-ish new.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3496
    Had one of those guitars back in 2007. Swapped the pickups and it was a very nice guitar. 
  • rico said:
    Probably a Classic Series. Made in Mexico, rosewood, LPB was one of the colours available, 7.25" radius, 21 frets, 6 screws bridge, generic alnico staggered pickups. Good guitars. How much did you pay for it?

I have the original body of my classic 60s, from 2004 - Olympic white! I think that was just before they (foolishly) stopped that colour. If you ever fancy a change, give me a shout
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    It's in a bit of a ratty state (ebay listing pics):

• rico said:
    I think you had a very good deal. I remember I let pass by one 4 or 5 years ago for 400€. Damn it was nice, LPB too.
  • Good price for what should be a nice guitar. People are starting to ask silly prices for these now - £700 when they were £500-ish new.
    I remember regularly seeing them at £399, sometimes as little as £349 - I started playing ~2003 but that seemed to be the price for a few years. I ended up buying a new Fender Japan ‘62 Strat instead for the same price - very similar spec, but better pickups and different finish options. :)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I’m not sure if it was the MIM Standards that were around the £400 mark and the Classics were (towards the end anyway) £499 - or £525 for sunbursts because they had premium wood (usuall 2-piece). I paid £525 for a 50s Tele and got an absolute bargain 60s Strat for £260! Brand new, a shop was selling off stock on ebay and I put in a very half-hearted bid. You might be right with £399 as I think my max bid was £100 below the new price.
  • I saw this Guitar, Fender mexico only did MIM 50's 60's & 70's strats they didn't do a specific 62
  • I had one in LPB a couple of years ago. Lovely instrument but the neck was too shallow for me. Sold it for 300£
  • Looks pretty good, decent price too
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    After a substantial clean and a setup, we're in business. Just need to learn how to avoid twatting the middle pickup and volume control!