Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Double or single - what’s your preference

What's Hot
EskiEski Frets: 35
There are some double cut guitars that I really like but, on the whole, I think I prefer single cut models.

I don’t know why but I really like the LP and particularly the Tele shape.

What does everyone else think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    Single apart from Strats
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited December 2020
    In the past it's always been singlecut but I sold my LP probably about 3-4 years ago and now my guitars are an SG and a strat. Neither of which would have been my first choice! I'm still pining after a nice LP again, or a PRS doublecut (because the PRS SC shape is a bit ugly). So a bit of both I guess but a strong preference for singlecut.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15281
    On set neck guitars, where there is a choice, I tend to prefer the single cutaway versions. 

Any rationalisation I could offer here is probably confirmation bias.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    edited December 2020
    I usually prefer double, but there's only any point if the strap button is on the upper horn and not the back of the body (eg SG or 335). All my current electrics are double-cut.

Single-cuts - even Teles and Les Pauls - mostly feel like the neck is a bit too far to the left... except large hollowbodies with the neck joint at the 14th fret.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EskiEski Frets: 35
    Rocker said:
    Single apart from Strats
    Yep - Strat’s are cool but they’re not symmetrical which helps for me.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like both. Prs-wise I prefer dc, Les Paul, I prefer the sc, unless it’s a junior, then I prefer the dc..
    where there’s only really one option ( strat/tele) I’m perfectly happy with them as they come..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    Both, absolutely no preference, but I only have one of each.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • FezFez Frets: 577
    Double for me.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I wish there was a guitar that was just a nice, slim neck with pickups and a bridge and tuners so I could get to the dusty end as easily as possible.
  • Double cut and Teles.  I try a Les Paul every few years and it never works. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4212
    Aesthetics apart what's the point of the upper cut? As someone who rarely ventures that far up the fretboard even a single cut is wasted on me :) But I really like the symmetry of an SG
    Trading feedback thread:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/172761/drofluf

Sporky: "Drofluf is a reverse vampire, who always appears in mirrors."
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    drofluf said:
    Aesthetics apart what's the point of the upper cut? As someone who rarely ventures that far up the fretboard even a single cut is wasted on me :) But I really like the symmetry of an SG
    Better access to the upper frets for those that do.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9130
    drofluf said:
    Particularly getting upper fret access without having to move my thumb position.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1927
    All of my electrics are double cuts so I think that is probably my preference
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    usedtobe said:
    I like both. Prs-wise I prefer dc, Les Paul, I prefer the sc, unless it’s a junior, then I prefer the dc..
    where there’s only really one option ( strat/tele) I’m perfectly happy with them as they come..
    This!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Its all about the strap position for me , thats why teles are out. As per @ICBM ; the strap button has to be on the upper horn. Les Pauls are just too heavy to be considered full stop! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3496
    Depends. 
    Single if a tele but not if an LP
    double if it’s a Strat (type) bit not if it’s one of those epiphone genesis?!

is a V a no cut or and extreme double? 
  • Roland said:
    drofluf said:
    Particularly getting upper fret access without having to move my thumb position.
    Also it usually helps get the heel out of the way - on a Les Paul the neck starts fattening up to the heel around the 14th fret. On an SG it's still neck-shaped up to about the 19th.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3276
    Double cut, thin waist for me.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    drofluf said:
     But I really like the symmetry of an SG
    They're close to symmetrical, but they'd look really weird if they actually were. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom