Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Double or single - what’s your preference

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    p90fool said:
    drofluf said:
     But I really like the symmetry of an SG
    They're close to symmetrical, but they'd look really weird if they actually were. 
    Symmetrical double-cuts always have an optical illusion that the lower horn is larger when they’re held horizontally, so an SG looks right because the upper horn is slightly larger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Double, just makes sense.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited December 2020
    Weirdly I don't find strats comfortable at all and find an SG one of the comfiest designs on a strap for me. I also prefer how a Tele and LP hang on a strap to a strat. For some reason a strat feels like it sits further left and too horizontal whilst the SG neck can angle up nicely and feel quite close/tucked in. Strats are pretty nice sitting down though but I don't like having my guitar at that height when stood.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    TTBZ said:
    Weirdly I don't find strats comfortable at all and find an SG one of the comfiest designs on a strap for me. I also prefer how a Tele and LP hang on a strap to a strat. For some reason a strat feels like it sits further left and too horizontal whilst the SG neck can angle up nicely and feel quite close/tucked in. Strats are pretty nice sitting down though but I don't like having my guitar at that height when stood.
    That’s exactly why I like the Strat style of guitar - I like to have the guitar at the same height when I stand up or sit down, and I play with the neck horizontal or close to it - and I can’t get on with SGs at all, even though they look and sound great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3037
    I've only ever owned two single cuts: A Columbus Les Paul copy (my second guitar) and a big jazz-bodied thing I bought in the 80s for reasons I still don't know. Probably was an Ibanez. i didn't keep either guitar for very long.

I guess I just came to like double cuts. 
  • All other things being equal I prefer double but all other things are never equal so I do own a couple of single cut guitars.  My last purchase was a PRS 594 and I preferred the single cut just because it looked a bit more old school than the equivalent double cut.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111

I don't think I have a preference.  Of the guitars I own, most of my favourites are doublecuts of one type or another, but I do really like Tele and Les Paul shapes - if not some of their other features.

If I daydream about custom builds, most of my ideas are singlecut designs.

Having said that, reading @Blueingreen's post above, if I was buying a PRS 594 I would definitely prefer the doublecut.  PRS singlecuts look too bulky somehow, not as elegant as the doublecuts.

• Philly_Q said:

I don't think I have a preference.  Of the guitars I own, most of my favourites are doublecuts of one type or another, but I do really like Tele and Les Paul shapes - if not some of their other features.

If I daydream about custom builds, most of my ideas are singlecut designs.

Having said that, reading @Blueingreen's post above, if I was buying a PRS 594 I would definitely prefer the doublecut.  PRS singlecuts look too bulky somehow, not as elegant as the doublecuts.

I don't necessarily prefer the SC for PRS generally, but with the 594s its the positioning of the toggle on the double cuts I don't like.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I don’t have a preference generally.  I like both Strats and teles.  A full fat LP obviously has to be a single, but for juniors i prefer double cut.  So it’s more about the aesthetics of each particular design, rather than a general preference for single or double.