Ampmaker N5X kit project

What's Hot
I have started building AmpMaker's N5X kit https://www.ampmaker.com/shop/n5x-british-overdrive-amplifier/
I'll also put together a case for it to match my DIY 212 cab. 
The instructions are very clear which makes life easy. I'll add some pictures as I go along over the next few weekends. 

So far so good.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1378
    Nice! I built a P1800 kit a few years ago and it sounds fantastic. Nice clear instructions and Barry is super helpful if you do have any problems.

I recommend cabs by Chris Uff if you want a nice box for it.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the progress pics!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, I'm going to build my own cab (probably once the winter is out of the way)- I want it to match my DIY 212
  • Great kit to start with, and it’s capable of a range of good sounds. Top Tip - ditch the chickenhead knobs and get some silver Marshall-style knobs for a more professional Jubilee look:

https://i.imgur.com/vrTjuLB.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Had a couple of hours to spare this afternoon so set about building the PSU. 
    I don't enjoy cutting the transformer's wiring down as a mistake can be hard to rectify. Never the less, I managed to get it right. This is borderline too fiddly for my fat fingers, so not as neat as I'd like - but a respectable job that I'm happy enough with. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking good! How much soldering is involved versus wiring up using screw terminals or other means? I've been considering one of these myself, but despite doing an electronic engineering degree my soldering skills are awful (there's a reason I shifted focus to software development!)
  • Looking good! How much soldering is involved versus wiring up using screw terminals or other means? I've been considering one of these myself, but despite doing an electronic engineering degree my soldering skills are awful (there's a reason I shifted focus to software development!)
    In short you have to solder everything. There are no screw terminals.
    I'd recommend practicing before taking on a project like this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Power supply connected up and tested. Valve heater circuit installed and working. =)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited March 2021
    FInished the amp a few weeks ago, worked perfectly - no issues.
    Have started to make a plywood case to match my 212 cab, hope to have this completed by Easter. 

Here's a few pics to look at...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joolsajoolsa Frets: 5
    Nice!
    Finished!

Crap light doesn't really do the Osmo oil finish justice, it has a lovely soft satin sheen.
    Very happy - it sounds fantastic, highly recommend building one of Barry's kits if you're handy. 
    The power control makes this set up very workable at home, lots of low level volume control - and plently loud enough if you open it up. 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    Looks great. I must get round to making an amp from scratch. It's the woodwork that puts me off.
    normula1 said:
    Looks great. I must get round to making an amp from scratch. It's the woodwork that puts me off.
    Its the making the amp bit that puts me off. Much prefer the wood work.