Brass/bronze packing washer for router bit bearing?

What's Hot
SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
I need to pack the bearing by about 2mm so more of it is against the template.

Does anyone know a source of suitable washers? I/D is about 4.6mm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader
    Surely if you’re trying to put that angle of cut round the headstock then you don’t need a template as the headstock itself becomes the template. Or is the template a different shape to the headstock so you’re just making it look pretty.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    tFB Trader
    Yes the template is a different shape, I'm cutting the chamfer on an Epiphone style "batwing" headstock
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    I think I would hand carve a chamfer that size  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    You're probably right. It's much safer too, one slip of the bit and it could be game over for my guitar neck.

I was aiming for a nice clean edge which the router would give me but TBH no Epiphone I have ever seen has a tidy carve here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    WezV said:
    You're probably right. It's much safer too, one slip of the bit and it could be game over for my guitar neck.

I was aiming for a nice clean edge which the router would give me but TBH no Epiphone I have ever seen has a tidy carve here.
    I think that probably speaks for itself about the accuracy of routing it too! Since I'm sure it would have been done like that at the factory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

a good carving knife will give just as clean a cut as a router.  but even  if cut with a rasps, files or abrasives, it can still be be sharpened up with a small scraper if needed

Most of the epi's look like they have lost a bit of definition from sanding anyway
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3109
    Couldn’t you stack two bearings on a longer screw?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Couldn’t you stack two bearings on a longer screw?
    No because the shaft that the bearing runs on is only about 3mm long. I suppose I could use a sleeve if I had one with the correct o/d and i/d but it's a long shot!
    tFB Trader
    I reverted to Plan A and used a sanding drum freehand in an electric drill. It worked okay I think, I'll be able to adjust it a little before painting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Ah! ignore my question on your other thread.  Looks fine..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    I reverted to Plan A and used a sanding drum freehand in an electric drill. It worked okay I think, I'll be able to adjust it a little before painting.

Looks fine to me. Maybe that is actually how they did them at the factory after all...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I suspect it is.... they would have had a few big sanders that could have done it 
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Looks fine to me. Maybe that is actually how they did them at the factory after all...
    Thanks. Yes given the inconsistency of the originals I think it probably was.
  • Looks good to me too.  And a lot safer than using a router.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    ...and a lot more satisfying to use "hand" tools too.