What's going on?

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
Bought this a few weeks ago to get some Marvin into my life...his best work they say.

JHC & FFS! what an enormous big slice of HAM.....and cheese this is

unbelievably dated and a comedy almost, a parody of every cliche from the 70s

I think this is the 2nd album i have switched off in 20 odd years

Must have started with the wrong Marvin album I guess
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hmm. I mean, it came first, it broke more than one mould, was a complete departure for the artist, and was a big risk for Motown who wanted him to carry on screaming his way through more hits. It can't really be a cliche if it was out on its own though. :) I don't like all the spiritual bollocks, and short though it is it does seem to go on a bit too long. I love most of it though. To each his own of course. IMO it's like saying Hitchcock films are badly acted - the music is of it's time to a certain extent though I think it stands up well against anything made since.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Ahh. Wasn't it the greatest album of all time on the Rolling Stone list this year? 

It's not necessarily to my taste but as said above it was a radical thing at the time. Something I've dipped into, gone that's amazing but after two tracks wanted to listen to something else.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Ahh. Wasn't it the greatest album of all time on the Rolling Stone list this year? 

It's not necessarily to my taste but as said above it was a radical thing at the time. Something I've dipped into, gone that's amazing but after two tracks wanted to listen to something else.  

now you mention it i think that's why i had the look see
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited December 2020
    I didn't get it the first time I listened to it, but it's worth giving it more than one listen. It isn't the greatest album of all time, but it's very good.

As fields5069 said, if it sounds like a cliché of the 1970s it's because it wrote the book on them...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    When I read that title, I always think first of the Taste song, as I did just now. That's a goodie :-). Mind you, the Marvin one's not bad either. And as the others have said, it defined the clichés, it didn't use them.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I love it - as much as anything for the production / what it sounds like
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Hootsmon said:
    Bought this a few weeks ago to get some Marvin into my life...his best work they say.

JHC & FFS! what an enormous big slice of HAM.....and cheese this is

unbelievably dated and a comedy almost, a parody of every cliche from the 70s

I think this is the 2nd album i have switched off in 20 odd years

Must have started with the wrong Marvin album I guess
    Yeah.....  it sounds like you picked Hank.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    It’s alright. Not the  best ever but it’s alright. 

Astral Weeks is the one folk rave over which is complete pants. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    edited December 2020
    There is only one "What's Going On". One of the best side one track ones you'll ever hear, and one of the best albums.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 942
    pigface said:
    When I read that title, I always think first of the Taste song, as I did just now. That's a goodie :-). Mind you, the Marvin one's not bad either. And as the others have said, it defined the clichés, it didn't use them.
    Ha! That’s what made me click on...fucking click bait :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Forgot to say, if do you want to hear some Marvin Gaye and you don't know where to start, it's hard to go wrong with this.

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/products/the-very-best-of-marvin-gaye-marvin-gaye

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 942
    scrumhalf said:
    There is only one "What's Going On". One of the best side one track ones you'll ever hear, and one of the best albums.

Sorry to digress Hoots, but this is what I love about this site, it keeps popping up with musical gems that I haven’t listened to in a long time.
    Already this week I’ve gone back to Uli era Scorpions and Budgie, now Taste.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    scrumhalf said:

Farkinell, I haven't heard that for nearly 50 years!  What a bloody great album that was...

Following up on the 'cliché' criticism, I've noticed something... this morning I'm listening to 'Now 100 Hits Of The 70s', and most of the songs that are actually from 1970 - rather than '71 or later - really sound very different, much more like the late 60s than like "the 70s". I have a suspicion that What's Going On, released in 1971, is a big part of the reason for that.

• EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    I love it, but there are only like three great 3 tunes on it. In a way it's like Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' success could be due to the single 'Another Brick In The Wall Part 2'..?

I prefer Marvin's later albums 'Let's Get It On', 'In Our Lifetime' and 'Midnight Love'. He has some written some incredible music. And that voice...!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    It's a bit like listening to Robert Johnson and saying it's a cliche because it rips off Eric Clapton. 

It's the mould from which all the socially aware soul music comes from. He pretty much invented that sound.

Like his other classic album Let's Get It On it's all very one note and all the songs are sort of variations on a theme, but that makes it a nice listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Keep listening. It's not a "song"-based album, it's about the overall mood over the course of the whole thing. I hope it clicks for you, I find it extremely rewarding.
  • I used to love this album - will have to dig it out
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18757
    Close to Marvin era. For a rock fan, I really loved The Commodores 'Machine Gun' album. Thought it was absolutely great, funky but raw.
    And then I realised that  "Young Girls Are My Weakness" wasn't such a cool song...   :s