Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Telecasters - Finger Boards

What's Hot
ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
I have a telecaster with a rosewood board. Would a maple board be a significant enough difference to warrant having one as well?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JotaJota Frets: 466
    ennspek said:
    I have a telecaster with a rosewood board. Would a maple board be a significant enough difference to warrant having one as well?
    I don't think it will. It's just a different feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Yes...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    Yes. Maple has a different sound, brighter. 
    I remember playing 2 late 60s teles one after another, one maple cap, the other rosewood. The rosewood was noticeable more mellow.

Of course, you can never have too many teles
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Yes! They look totally different;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    ennspek said:
    Even a different serial number is enough to warrant buying another Tele...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 466
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    In my opinion there isn't a huge difference in *tone* between the two, but there is something in the note attack which is, which can make quite a difference to how you hear it when you're playing - maple is 'snappier' and 'faster', rosewood is 'softer' and 'slower'. I apologise for the completely incorrect physical 'speed' terms, but that's how it sort-of sounds, to me.

I'm not convinced it's a big enough difference to warrant having both though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Real teles have maple boards and 3 saddles 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    ICBM said:

I'm not convinced it's a big enough difference to warrant having both though.
    Normally I’d listen to your advice but c’mon... there’s a big enough difference between noon and one minute past to warrant two teles :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1462
    edited December 2020
    A lot of people say maple is brighter and rosewood is mellower, but this doesn’t match my experience. When I used to mess around with Warmoth partscasters I noticed a bigger difference between 2 different maple necks than I did between maple vs rosewood with the examples I had. I think ultimately the fingerboard wood probably does make a difference, but so do all the other parts so it’s impossible to narrow down any difference just to the fingerboard. Definitely not enough to warrant having both IMO. Having an ash/maple/brass saddle Tele and an alder/rosewood/steel saddle Tele is worth it though in my opinion. This video below is great and largely matches my own experience with these two Tele “recipes”.

https://youtu.be/T9EyAq4gtFg
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    In my experience with Teles, neck size has a bigger influence on tone than neck material... if you want a fatter tone, find a fatter neck. The fingerboard material is a minor thing in comparison. Probably doesn’t amount to nothing exactly but there is not a lot in it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    In my experience with Teles, neck size has a bigger influence on tone than neck material... if you want a fatter tone, find a fatter neck.
    I actually find the opposite quite often - fatter necks are stiffer, which produces less open, resonant tone. But hating fat necks from a feel point of view may make my playing 'stiffer' and produce some confirmation bias, I admit.

I agree that the fingerboard material difference is fairly minor in comparison with several other factors including the two specific pieces of wood the necks and bodies are made from though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    Real teles have maple boards and 3 saddles 
    I’ll agree with you about the 3 saddles, but tell Robben Ford his isn’t a real tele
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9130
    There's a difference between rosewood and maple. There's a difference between one piece and laminated. There are differences resulting from thickness and profile. Whether you notice, and whether they are important to you, depend on what you play and how you play it. If you play cleanish with a lot of attack then you'll notice. If you are playing something from a Led Zeppelin album then you probably won't
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    I disagree about the three saddles. Six-saddle Teles still sound like Teles.

The biggest factor is having the bridge pickup mounted in the bridgeplate, in my opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    ... and steel saddles have more ‘zing’ than brass ones. (Listens out for sound of can of worms being opened...)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    I think the main contributor to the sound of a Tele is the walnut skunk stripe.
    Thought everyone knew that.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    HAL9000 said:
    ... and steel saddles have more ‘zing’ than brass ones. (Listens out for sound of can of worms being opened...)
    I think most would agree on that. The difference is that a lot of deluded people think brass ones sound better :).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1316
    edited December 2020
    I’m not convinced there’s that much tonal difference. A lot of other things will have a much greater effect. The feel of it under your fingers is the biggest difference.
  • What body wood is your rosewood board tele? You might find more difference with an ash/ maple tele and an alder/rosewood tele.