Help with fender strat plastics

What's Hot
JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 184
Hi all, 

I'm after some help with my fender strat. It is a 65 AVRI which I changed the pickguard on to a art of ageing mint green guard which is great. The only thing is the stock pickup covers and knobs now don't look quite right. Here it is: 

https://imgur.com/ePtL8Fo

I love the actual pick guard but there doesn't seem to be enough contrast between the pickup covers and knobs to the pickguard. I had a look at some custom shop examples and the pickup covers and knobs seem to be paler in colour: 

https://imgur.com/4WifM7h
https://imgur.com/imDCp0g

The question is which colour pickup covers and knobs do I go for? I don't want them to be absolutely white but more like the custom shop examples. 

I know this may seem crazy to some but it does bother me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dc77dc77 Frets: 28
    I suggest parchment is probably the shade your looking for. 
    Plenty of places online sell them if they have them in stock. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    I would revert to the stock white/black/white 'guard. 

The minty green colour is an attempt to imitate the greenish-grey off-white of pre-CBS parts. By 1965, Fender had changed to materials that do not discolour that way.

Fender's Eggshell plastic parts are more subtly off-white than Parchment. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited December 2020
    Personally I think yours looks perfect & much nicer and more authentic than the CS pics. That severe contrast is un-natural and I don't know why they do it. On real vintage guitars, the pick-guard and controls are the same colour or generally the difference on pre 64's is not that prominent.

Here's my 1969 hardtail:

And here's a '63 strat

1963 Fender Stratocaster  HSC - ATB Guitars Ltd
    And here's a real 1965:

1965 Fender Stratocaster  OHSC
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    On second thoughts, since the AV65 is white with a rosewood fingerboard, the best solution is a 4-ply, dark brown, faux tortoiseshell 'guard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1246
    Charles guitars do art of aging plastics and what appear to be the same plastics but non aged, I’d grab a set of parchment from them. They do photos of how their mint looks with each colour knobs and covers on the product page of the pickguard
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1246
    For what it’s worth I think it looks good now but if you’re not happy it might not get out of your head til you try
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited December 2020
    By ‘65, the nitrate scratch plates (we’re not American!) were considerably thicker than earlier versions - presumably to lessen their tendency to warp. The one you have doesn’t look right for the period you’re trying to recreate. Part way through the year, Fender switched to plastic W/B/W as @Funkfingers said.

The ‘65 I used to own had a ‘green’ plate - but the plastics didn’t show much yellowing. I used to own a ‘63 - the plastics on that had yellowed a lot. I don’t know whether the materials were different, or if it was due to exposure to smoke. If you want that look, soaking them in tea used to be the recommended option.
  • On second thoughts, since the AV65 is white with a rosewood fingerboard, the best solution is a 4-ply, dark brown, faux tortoiseshell 'guard.
    Thread hijack:

I'm with @richardhomer . Always scratch plate rather than pickguard. And always fretboard rather than fingerboard - especially here of all places!  ;) 

And let's not start on valves vs tubes....  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 467
    I think it looks great,  but can't you just get matching pickup covers?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Yours looks *much* better like it is. The CS ones look wrong because the guards are that hideous fake green.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• From the scan you have posted, the body, guard and knobs etc all seem quite close in tone and colour when compared to the CS.

To me it is marvellous looking guitar - personally I wouldn’t change a thing.

Fwiw, I always knew of scratch plates and not pickguards. But having been out of the game for twenty odd years, I simply thought that terminology had streamlined.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 184
    Thanks for all the comments and advise, really appreciate it. Those vintage strats look amazing @Voxman, particularly like the 63'. I am going to try some parchment pickup covers and knobs and go from there. I know its not correct for the period, but I think I need to scratch the itch otherwise it'll forever bug me! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom