Bluegrass music - Where should I start? Question for aficionados.

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 720
edited December 2020 in Music
I've always liked the sound of bluegrass and general "fancy folk" (by which I mean it's quite technical).

After finally buying a Martin D18 (which took me 20 years after first playing and wanting one) I've decided to put some real effort into learning some good entertaining stuff on the thing - by which I mean that when someone says "go on then, play something" I could pick it up and entertain a room for 10 mins or so.

I like Doc Watson, which is what I'm listening to at the min. Also enjoying Billy Strings, but his stuff seems to lean more towards a group of musicians rather than just one man with a guitar.

I'm interested in bluegrass examples of "just a bloke with a guitar" - any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

I dont know much about bluegrass but I did come across The Petersens on youtube. might not be a bad pace to start

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15587
    edited December 2020
    My personal fave is Norman Blake. Tony Rice is a must, as is Clarence White. Tim O'Brien is fantastic, more folky/old timey than pure bluegrass I guess, though there's a lot of crossover. From there, well the options are legion.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    My personal fave is Norman Blake. Tony Rice is a must, as is Clarence White. Tim O'Brien is fantastic, more folky/old timey than pure bluegrass I guess, though there's a lot of crossover. From there, well the options are legion.
    So I've had a selection of Norman Blake stuff on, but it seems a bit maudlin ... can you point me at a specific album?
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 724
    edited December 2020
    More of a modern twist, Mandolin orange. Willie Watson. Jeffrey Martin

maybe heading more country though I guess
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    58957 - Tony Rice.

That was meant to be a link for the playlist of the album - easy enough to find though.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited December 2020

I'm interested in bluegrass examples of "just a bloke with a guitar" - any suggestions?

She sure isn't a bloke, but Molly Tuttle can bluegrass flatpick & clawhammer with the best of them  - in fact better than most. Absolute killer guitar player. Exhibit A:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Holly shit, that’s impressive.  

edited December 2020
    May as well have the original

• Mile Twelve is a great band 
    also check out the SteelDrivers plus the amazing Midnight Skyracers an all girl Bluegrass band from Oxford area I believe, featured them on my show a few times. Awesome. 
  • Molly is wonderful, as good as it gets, Billy Strings gets all the plaudits in states due to his speed of flat picking, yet Molly is far superior with a more melodic approach. Even up against Tommy Emmanuel, she is holding her own. 

Her solo after Tommy’s first solo about 2 mins in is breathtaking pace and dexterity.