12 string setup

What's Hot
Hoping to get some insight from you esteemed experts!
Which is the best way to string a 12 string (my 335 conversion) - do I put the main strings above (for the downstroke) the secondary strings, or vice-versa, as in some Ricks?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was just looking into this yesterday as I've picked up a 12 string that needs some TLC. Found this site useful:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73107
    Personally I would do it the conventional way for a 335 12-string, which is like an acoustic. The Rickenbacker sound is very distinctive and only really suits their guitars in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19437
    Would have thought the way the nut and saddle(s) were cut would dictate the string position?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14795
    Yes, which why it is necessary to decide whether to go conventional or Rickenbacker before slotting a nut blank. 

FWIIW, the RIC type is of very different proportions to anything that will fit a 335-alike.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ^ Ah yes, * facepalm* I had presumed the nut was already present & cut. Doh!
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 356
    Nope, I ordered a bridge and tailpiece set, but it didn’t come, so I decided to grind the grooves off a six-string bridge I already had.  Now I need to decide where to put the 12 new grooves.
    edited December 2020
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    100% put octave strings above normal pitch strings . I tried the other way ( Rickenbacker) on my 12 string and could really only hear the octaves properly on forceful upstrokes.
    I also found pairing the G strings in unison far more practical from an intonation viewpoint with virtually no detriment to the overall 12 string sound.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73107
    Mike58 said:

I also found pairing the G strings in unison far more practical from an intonation viewpoint with virtually no detriment to the overall 12 string sound.
    A plain non-octave G is really bad for that, it intonates extremely differently from the 8 or 9 gauge octave G. A wound one around a 20 gauge is much better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom