Factory conditions

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I remember being very impressed by the PRS Indonesian factory video. You can tell there's real care and skilled work (and it shows in the final product, all the SEs I tried from either Korea or Indonesia were really well put together).

The cynic in me can't help thinking that the videos are obviously made to show the factories in a good light... But I doubt they revert to a Victorian nightmare when the cameras shut off.

I just think we underestimate just how much can be saved through the lower wages in these countries. But it's all relative. My company has an office in India - all the staff are highly qualified, work in an office that wouldn't look out of place in Shoreditch, and are well paid by Indian standards. But it's still a fraction of what employing that workforce here would cost.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501

The cynic in me can't help thinking that the videos are obviously made to show the factories in a good light... But I doubt they revert to a Victorian nightmare when the cameras shut off.

The same will be true of factory vids anywhere in the world, its always going to be a good day.

here is an older one that seems a bit less staged

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I thought cort had a pretty poor reputation from a few years ago.
    I am a PRS fanboy and I know Paul said in one of his videos that when the pandemic first hit he made sure his staff got paid. He said something like he really objects to people with money, not looking after staff if they can do it. I can't imagine that he would tolerate or would be comfortable with his name being associated with a factory with a poor reputation.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thefezthefez Frets: 131
    Apparently Cort shut down their Korean factory when their workers complained over working conditions (toxic fumes?), and switched production to somewhere like Vietnam or Indonesia. I think I read that here so maybe someone can confirm and add further details?
    Having lived and worked in Korea for more than a decade I find this completely believable. Health and safety isn't really a thing in Korea more than the most basic stuff. A lot of Korean manufacturing is moving to Vietnam because they can pay them less and treat the workers even worse than in Korean factories. 
  • I remember being very impressed by the PRS Indonesian factory video. You can tell there's real care and skilled work (and it shows in the final product, all the SEs I tried from either Korea or Indonesia were really well put together).

I just think we underestimate just how much can be saved through the lower wages in these countries. But it's all relative. My company has an office in India - all the staff are highly qualified, work in an office that wouldn't look out of place in Shoreditch, and are well paid by Indian standards. But it's still a fraction of what employing that workforce here would cost.
    There's that Daily Mail view isn't there, like a frothing at the mouth rant about DON'T BUY [INSERT BRAND NAME HERE], THEY ONLY PAY THEIR STAFF A DOLLAR A DAY! - which totally neglects to mention that a dollar a day is three times as much as they could get working anywhere else 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Apparently Cort shut down their Korean factory when their workers complained over working conditions (toxic fumes?), and switched production to somewhere like Vietnam or Indonesia. I think I read that here so maybe someone can confirm and add further details?
    I do like irony in your user and you highlighting the toxic fumes fact  =)
  • Thanks all. I think the same Indonesia factory builds Chapman, solar, prs se and others (maybe even harley benton, which look extremely similar but cheaper because of limited options and less marketing?).

Quite reassuring. It was cort I read about - looks like they use the Indonesian factory too now. 
  • I had a wonderful 2016 epiphone Les Paul custom pro made in qingdo, I remember that factory video . I’m not sure what the output is like now,I had seen one thread mentioning QC issues , hope Gibson don’t drag epiphone down 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32402
    I hope Gibson don’t drag epiphone down 
    Gibson have owned Epiphone since 1957.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I've personally visited the World Guitars factory in Korea and audited their processes. I believe the owners of WG set up or at least helped to set up the Indonesian plant - if so it will be run well. 

FWIW, from what I saw in Korea they do have H&S practices albeit they can be a little more 'cavalier' than in the UK - and in fact some factory conditions are far better... for example: if you work over a certain number of hours the factory have to provide you with a cooked meal and that nutritional content of this is strictly monitored. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    DrJazzTap said:
    I thought cort had a pretty poor reputation from a few years ago.
    I am a PRS fanboy and I know Paul said in one of his videos that when the pandemic first hit he made sure his staff got paid. He said something like he really objects to people with money, not looking after staff if they can do it. I can't imagine that he would tolerate or would be comfortable with his name being associated with a factory with a poor reputation.
    He did, essentially he did his own furlough scheme within PRS staff when the factory shutdown.