New Pickguard and Shielding

What's Hot
I bought a new pickguard to replace the one on my Classic Vibe Jazzmaster and was wondering about the shielding (and also hoping the holes line up). 

I'm a complete novice at this so any guidance would be great. Do I need to cover the back of the pickguard in copper tape?

The new one just has a small silver strip (aluminium tape maybe) over the tone pots and jack area and nothing else. I believe the inside of the cavities have the Fender black paint stuff for conductivity. 

Also, what exactly is grounding? I have to make the wire touch the bridge screws or something?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73105
    The shielding should really cover all the ares where there is wiring underneath. It's not necessary elsewhere.

The bridge should already be grounded, it's usually done with a wire trapped under the treble side 'thimble' insert.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thefezthefez Frets: 131
    ICBM said:
    The shielding should really cover all the ares where there is wiring underneath. It's not necessary elsewhere.

The bridge should already be grounded, it's usually done with a wire trapped under the treble side 'thimble' insert.
    Ok thanks.

I guess if I'm just taking the bridge in and out only to remove the pickguard then it should still be grounded when I put it back in. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73105
    thefez said:

I guess if I'm just taking the bridge in and out only to remove the pickguard then it should still be grounded when I put it back in. 
    Yes, it connects to the thimble in the body not the bridge itself. You'll see the wire when you take the pickguard off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom