Gibson 335 / Les Paul - 2020 quality?

What's Hot
hendrix2430hendrix2430 Frets: 40
edited December 2020 in Guitar
Hi gents

I’m thinking of getting either a Les Paul or 335 in the very near future... looking at both the new and used markets.

The new 2020 versions of both models look promising but I must say I’d be slightly nervous about going that route, considering Gibson’s reputation for being so inconsistent. Trying a few in shops is a bit tricky at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with both the new Les Pauls and 335s? Are they built in the same factory? Is the fit / finish quality equivalent?

Also looking for feedback regarding the T type humbuckers on the 335... I’ve no experience with them. How would you characterise those?

thanks for any help / advice
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oldhorsemurphyoldhorsemurphy Frets: 321
    edited December 2020
    The 2020 Les Pauls are superb quality and are a marked improvement on the recents years. 

I have a 2019 335 which is a wonderful guitar (one of the last built in Memphis), but the build quality of the 2020 Les Paul leaves it in the dust in terms of fit and finish. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318
    I recently bought a 2020 Nashville '59 reissue 335. Absolutely blown away by it, played another and was also the same level. Have had a good few 335's over the years, including another '59 reissue and this is a different league. Best sounding by miles and they got the neck profile right, used to be way too fat. Had been searching for the right semi, had a Collings i35 etc., but nothing compares to a great Gibson. When it's right, it is very very right.
  • Thanks guys. @Cloudnine is your 335 a custom Shop or a production one? 
    It's the custom shop '59 reissue. The price is a bit eye watering, but genuinely feels/sounds worth it. Below next to my old 175, which is as good as anything I have ever played, but this 335 is honestly every bit as great. Definitely recommend getting out to try a few.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice pair! Yes the custom shop price of admission is quite high to say the least! 
  • This one advertised on here is the same model as my 335. If it's of a similar quality it will be an exceptional guitar:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/195878/fs-ft-gibson-memphis-es-335-dot-2019-antique-faded-cherry-2100#latest
  • CloudNine said:
    It's the custom shop '59 reissue. The price is a bit eye watering, but genuinely feels/sounds worth it. Below next to my old 175, which is as good as anything I have ever played, but this 335 is honestly every bit as great. Definitely recommend getting out to try a few.

Paging @db1 just to look at that beautiful 175
  • This one advertised on here is the same model as my 335. If it's of a similar quality it will be an exceptional guitar:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/195878/fs-ft-gibson-memphis-es-335-dot-2019-antique-faded-cherry-2100#latest
    Yes I like that one... in general I’ve noticed used 335s seem hold value extremely well. In fact, most of them seem to fetch 90% + of new. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5036
    CloudNine said:

Paging @db1 just to look at that beautiful 175

Thanks for the renewed GAS, Fred. ;)

That is glorious.
    Call me Dave.
  • CloudNine said:

@CloudNine ;How the neck on the new ‘59  compare to the Collings you had? I’ve got a 290 and now looking for a 335 or i35 but your comments have swayed me towards the Gibson :)
    @brucegill   The neck on this one is sort of classic '59 style, maybe a little more shoulder than the usual Collings neck, although not had the two side by side. This is really not too big though, especially compared to the last '59 reissue I had (I think was maybe a 2014/15) which was insanely large.

re. The I35, (deluxe or LC) they are lovely lovely things, I could sit and wonder at the build quality, hard to believe how they even manage to achieve that level with a substance like wood, but they just don't scratch the 335 itch for me at all.
  • CloudNine said:
    @brucegill   The neck on this one is sort of classic '59 style, maybe a little more shoulder than the usual Collings neck, although not had the two side by side. This is really not too big though, especially compared to the last '59 reissue I had (I think was maybe a 2014/15) which was insanely large.

re. The I35, (deluxe or LC) they are lovely lovely things, I could sit and wonder at the build quality, hard to believe how they even manage to achieve that level with a substance like wood, but they just don't scratch the 335 itch for me at all.
    Many thanks! Its the shoulders I'm not keen on, maybe worth me trying a '61.... that said, I'm borrowing a Epiphone Joe Bonamassa ES-355 that has a 60s slim taper D profile I believe, and its not for me, its like a pencil and flat in the middle making it have pretty un-comfy shoulders.