Has anybody ever compared neck plates on strats?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 735
edited December 2020 in Guitar
I just bought a body to go with the rest of my strat parafernalia, but realise I’m missing a neck plate. 

I see Callaham do a stainless steel one, which is very expensive. Other people make ones to suit every pocket. 

Question is, has anyone compared them?

Any recommendations? Given the supposed importance of the neck join to the body, I thought it might make sense to investigate. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    As in whether they make a difference to the tone?

They don’t. Choose one you like the look of.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    edited December 2020
    stainless steel ones allow the wood to breathe
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32405
    tony99 said:
    stainless steel ones allow the wood to breathe
    And they interfere with the magnetic field of the neck pickup less than a steel one. 

Sorry you asked yet? 
     :)
  • Changing neckplate will make a difference insofar as any removal and reattachment of the neck of a bolt-on guitar can impact the coupling between neck and body.

Another potential factor is that where the new neckplate is thicker than than the old, depending on the depth of the countersink for the screw heads this could also potentially change the coupling.

And finally, theoretically at least, if the new neck plate is significantly heavier that the old one it would alter the mass of the instrument. I put a brass pickguard on a Telecaster and it changed the sound a bit both acoustically and electrically. Of course, a brass guard is significantly bigger than a neck plate, so what impact the smaller neckplate could have is hard to quantify.

In terms of modifications to the neck/body coupling relationship, switching over to threaded inserts from wood screws makes a much bigger difference. Insofar as I was able to compare before and after, I have liked it on every guitar I’ve done it to. It also means that I don’t have to worry about screw holes stripping from removing and reattaching the neck.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    Changing neckplate will make a difference insofar as any removal and reattachment of the neck of a bolt-on guitar can impact the coupling between neck and body.

Another potential factor is that where the new neckplate is thicker than than the old, depending on the depth of the countersink for the screw heads this could also potentially change the coupling.

And finally, theoretically at least, if the new neck plate is significantly heavier that the old one it would alter the mass of the instrument. I put a brass pickguard on a Telecaster and it changed the sound a bit both acoustically and electrically. Of course, a brass guard is significantly bigger than a neck plate, so what impact the smaller neckplate could have is hard to quantify.

In terms of modifications to the neck/body coupling relationship, switching over to threaded inserts from wood screws makes a much bigger difference. Insofar as I was able to compare before and after, I have liked it on every guitar I’ve done it to. It also means that I don’t have to worry about screw holes stripping from removing and reattaching the neck.
    A metal plate around the pickups will have some measureable affect, and its nothing to do with the mass of the metal you are adding.

Neck plate is the thin end of a very finely honed wedge here.   It just needs to hold things in place nicely and not deform too much.   Dofferences between two neck plates won't affect the coupling between neck and body in any significant way.... but I accept not having a neck plate could.
  • WezV said:
    Changing neckplate will make a difference insofar as any removal and reattachment of the neck of a bolt-on guitar can impact the coupling between neck and body.

A metal plate around the pickups will have some measureable affect, and its nothing to do with the mass of the metal you are adding.

Neck plate is the thin end of a very finely honed wedge here.   It just needs to hold things in place nicely and not deform too much.   Dofferences between two neck plates won't affect the coupling between neck and body in any significant way.... but I accept not having a neck plate could.
    I know that, but this is comparing the bridge pickup, which the brass guard isn’t really near or around.

The brass guard really is quite heavy, and comparing the unplugged sound there is also a difference.
    WezV said:

I know that, but this is comparing the bridge pickup, which the brass guard isn’t really near or around.

The brass guard really is quite heavy, and comparing the unplugged sound there is also a difference.
    The metal plate affects the magnetic field of the pickup, mostly the neck pickup in this scenario. 

The magnetic field affects the way the string vibrates.... you have changed that.

Okay, a significant mass can change the way the body vibrates, and it all has an affect on some level.

Using it as an example of how a heavy neck plate  might change the tone is taking things a bit far for me.
  • I have an expensive wudtone one and a really cheap cast one from my jazzmaster. I tried both and there is no tone difference.

This is true for a lot of things I've found. Get one that looks nice and be happy it has zero effect on tone :) 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Just get a gotoh one, they look good and cheap enough imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    edited December 2020
    I always magnetise my neck plates because it aligns the electrons in the same direction as the strings.
    Or so I've read on the internet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    For most of us they make no difference, although I'm pretty sure that Eric Johnson had a 35 year quest to find the right one.
  • Just get a gotoh one, they look good and cheap enough imo
    That’s a winner for me, less than a tenner and looks sensible. Thanks!
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    edited December 2020
    WezV said:
    WezV said:

The metal plate affects the magnetic field of the pickup, mostly the neck pickup in this scenario. 

The magnetic field affects the way the string vibrates.... you have changed that.

Okay, a significant mass can change the way the body vibrates, and it all has an affect on some level.

Using it as an example of how a heavy neck plate  might change the tone is taking things a bit far for me.
    I think it unlikely too. I got a couple of regular thickness stainless steel neck plates, as much for aesthetic reasons as anything else, and found that they made no difference to tone. They were only slightly more expensive than an off the shelf one from Fender/Gotoh etc. I think some of the boutique neck plate sellers are absolutely taking the piss with their pricing, even if it could be shown that they definitively made a difference.

There are guys out there who swear neck plates matter, I’m just trying to come up with some sort of reasonable explanation for what they might be hearing, presuming that it is not something that they are imagining. The whole stiffness argument thing, particularly considering that the connection is screws into wood and as such potentially subject to change every time you screw and unscrew it, doesn’t really make sense.
    I do think stiffness in a neck, and quality of a join are big factors . . . Just not that neck plate can affect it much as long as it fits

I think the difference in two neck plates stiffness will become pretty meaningless once they are pressed against the body.  

Having said that, I don't really like using those plastic washer/shims some guitars have under the neck plate.   I do prefer a solid connection.
    flathead or philips screws though? I'm of the flathead equates to more resonance camp myself, dunno bout you guys
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    C'mon guys, be serious. =)

As if it's not micro scrutiny enough to discus  micro differences in tone as between rosewood and maple fingerboards,  the type of glue used to fix a neck, and nitro finishes allowing wood to breathe, we're now talking neck plates? You guys have definitely been too early on the egg nogs and brandy snaps if you really think you'll hear a noticeable tonal difference 're the neckplate.  Sophisticated analytical scientific equipment might show something miniscule . B) ..but the average human ear even in a quiet room (let alone a live mix)...never in a million...not unless you're a Vulcan!  

And if you think you can, your mind is tricking you. In a blind test, never ever!!  :)

But thanks for cheering me up...this thread gave me a laugh!  =) :)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    polyester finishes should be banned, for suffocating wood
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    tony99 said:
    polyester finishes should be banned, for suffocating wood
    Yeah. And condoms as well.
  • tony99 said:
    flathead or philips screws though? I'm of the flathead equates to more resonance camp myself, dunno bout you guys
    Is that cos there’s less metal or more? I’d guess flat head screws have slightly more than Philips. Pozidrive is whole other can of worms. 

I think that’s why I don’t like Les Pauls - no neck screw resonance. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When I first read this thread this morning (with just a couple of comments) I thought to myself “surely this can’t turn into a discussion on the merits of neck plates on tone”
    and so I come back a few hours later and waddaya know!!!!