Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PMT using photoshopped images from other retailers...........

What's Hot
So, I was looking to buy a PRS 594 semi hollow, and had my eye on one at Wildwire Guitars, they even held it back for me. I got called away with work and had to pass, and another forum member on here bought it.Top guy, top guitar and all good.

I started looking again this week and found the same model and finish on the PMT website. It looked really familiar, and I know PRS tops can vary greatly, but this looked the same. I still had the link to the Wildwire guitar, checked it, and it was the exact same guitar. PMT had just photoshopped out the black background (poorly) and are using this image for the £3500 PRS.

So, my issue is that when spending that kind of money, you want to choose your top to ensure the figuring is to your liking, and not get a lucky dip. And, surely that must be mis-selling, if the item you are sending out isn't the one pictured? And finally, does it not breach trading standards or copyright laws, and if nothing else shows a very unscrupulous sales tactic.....?

What do you think, am I the only one that wants to see the guitar I am buying if purchasing online? And should the photos reflect the instrument and not be stolen from another retailer? How would PRS feel about a main dealer behaving this way?

Looking forward to your opinions!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1409
    i get that distributor/dealer relationships may necessitate the use of stock photos but, in an age when every idiot with a smartphone can take a decent picture (or can google how to), it shouldn't be necessary to gamble on things like finishes, tops and fretboards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    Most retailers use library shots supplied by the manufacturer. There is no way that PMT, or any other seller, would go to the trouble of stealing a shot and photoshopping it. A one line email to PRS would get them all the images they could want. 

Only a few shops shoot individual instruments and even then, only over about £1k usually. 

But yes, I totally agree with your point about about being good to see the actual guitar you’re buying.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335 said:
    i get that distributor/dealer relationships may necessitate the use of stock photos but, in an age when every idiot with a smartphone can take a decent picture (or can google how to), it shouldn't be necessary to gamble on things like finishes, tops and fretboards. 
    The problem with stock photos, is that they are always the best tops, mostly 10 tops in PRS case. But you can get PRS Core models that have pretty poor figuring, and it is also down to taste too. But to misrepresent what is being sold by taking images from another retailer, that they have taken themselves of the actual guitars they are selling, and editing the background enough so that it isn't immediately recognisable, I have a real problem with that. 

Might just be me though..... but like you say, I wouldn't want to gamble with tops if shelling out £3500!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    I dunno about using other retailers images but unless they specify its the model in the picture I presume like most things its either a stock image or like Peach do, have their own image of one of the models (but could be an old pic of a diff serial), unless its specified that its chooseable/the guitar in the pic. 

For £3500 I’d want to see exactly what guitar i’d get though. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • dazzajl said:
    Most retailers use library shots supplied by the manufacturer. There is no way that PMT, or any other seller, would go to the trouble of stealing a shot and photoshopping it. A one line email to PRS would get them all the images they could want. 

Only a few shops shoot individual instruments and even then, only over about £1k usually. 

But yes, I totally agree with your point about about being good to see the actual guitar you’re buying.  
    PMT have definitely taken the image from Wildwire guitars. I have spoken to Wildwire today who confirm it is their photo, and that they have had it happen before but not with PMT, and even on chat to PMT an hour ago the chat guy admitted it to me!

I can post the links if it is allowed?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited December 2020
    The use of stock photos is the norm and doesn't break any copyright laws . If your selling new stock , it is not expected you post a photo of the  actual item . I personally  would not spend £3500 on a guitar unless I could  play it first. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • If it is an acoustic or solid colour, stock images are fine, but for figured tops, be it a Gibson R9 or a PRS Core model, I would want to choose the top for sure, and would not expect stock images.
  • more said:
    The use of stock photos is the norm and doesn't break any copyright laws . If your selling new stock , it is not expected you post a photo of the  actual item . I personally  would not spend £3500 on a guitar unless I could play it first. 
    With the 14 day return policy and no guitars within hours of me or time to travel due to work and lockdown restrictions, I don't have an issue. But I need to point out again, it isn't stock photos in this case, they are specific shots taken by another retailer. Thats where I am with the copyright thing.

I guess it is just me that has an issue with it! I will get back in my box.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2295
    I know Chris and Leon at Wildwire and Chris takes all of the photos of the guitars himself onsite.

Send them the link and they'll know straight away if it's been lifted from their site.
  • @andy1839 I spoke with Leon earlier and he confirmed it was his photo, and not the first time they have had their images taken by other retailers.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    dazzajl said:

PMT have definitely taken the image from Wildwire guitars. I have spoken to Wildwire today who confirm it is their photo, and that they have had it happen before but not with PMT, and even on chat to PMT an hour ago the chat guy admitted it to me!

I can post the links if it is allowed?
    I stand totally corrected on that then. I’m not sure what shocks me more, the outright gall of stealing it or the stupidity to not just ask. 
  • Actual Photo on Wildwire:

Edited photo on PMT:

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2295
    @andy1839 I spoke with Leon earlier and he confirmed it was his photo, and not the first time they have had their images taken by other retailers.
    Sorry bud, I had that written and then went out with the dog and posted when I got back, I didn't see you'd mentioned it earlier. 

Top shop and blokes at Wildwire, I've bought most of my PRS from them.

Seems a shame PMT would go to the trouble of lifting it.

As mentioned earlier if you're dropping that amount of cash on a guitar, especially online, you want to know that's the one you're getting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1444
    Vaguely related but I found a product on Coda Music once where they'd done a copy and paste from Sweetwater's website complete with "Here at Sweetwater" etc etc. 
    3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited December 2020
    S56035 said:
    Vaguely related but I found a product on Coda Music once where they'd done a copy and paste from Sweetwater's website complete with "Here at Sweetwater" etc etc. 
    Where is the 'ouch' button?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    The only excuse for using a manufacturer's photographs of a typical example is when the item is "available for order" rather than actually in stock, in a bricks and mortar store. The accompanying small print will make it clear that the photograph is just an example and that the item a customer actually receives may not look exactly the same.

This was certainly true when I pre-ordered a PRS S2 Reclaimed series Vela. Considering all of the production delays with that series, the guitar I received probably was not even built when I put my money down.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3037
    And, surely that must be mis-selling, if the item you are sending out isn't the one pictured? And finally, does it not breach trading standards or copyright laws, and if nothing else shows a very unscrupulous sales tactic.....?

No, it wouldn't be mis-selling to use a stock image supplied by the manufacturer, in fact it's the norm in most contexts. But with expensive and distinctive items (e.g. figured wood), photos of the specific item on sale would be a sign of a dealer with a high standard of service, as would clearly indicating if it was a stock photo - but the lack of either wouldn't be mis-selling. 

In this example, breaking copyright law? Yes, whilst manufacturer's/distributer's stock images are supplied with either an explicit or implicit licence to be used in this way, photographs taken by a third party are not. Broadly speaking, the copyright either belongs to the photographer or in some situations (such as employees using company equipment) the company that produced the photograph. Commercial use by a third party without permission/licence would not be likely to come under 'fair use' terms, just by the nature of being a commercial usage.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Well there's one retailer I'll never buy anything like a guitar from. Or possibly anything.

Use of a manufacturer's stock photo - with a disclaimer that it is - is fair enough on "non distinctive" items, but stealing another dealer's pictures of something with unique markings is blatantly wrong and also a breach of copyright. My guess would be that the excuse is that they didn't have it in stock when the listing went up - which is poor at best on something like this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    I don’t think I’d buy a £3.5K guitar without seeing it in the shop and playing it in person but if I were to go that way (current circumstances could dictate that route, etc.) I would expect to have a good few shots of the actual guitar I was going to pay for.  That shouldn’t be too much to ask, surely companies like PMT have the resources to do it - they have enough time to send me a live feed every lunchtime.

I should say - I have nothing against PMT, I think they do a good job, carry a good amount of stock, etc.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    ICBM said:
    Well there's one retailer I'll never buy anything like a guitar from. Or possibly anything.

Use of a manufacturer's stock photo - with a disclaimer that it is - is fair enough on "non distinctive" items, but stealing another dealer's pictures of something with unique markings is blatantly wrong and also a breach of copyright. My guess would be that the excuse is that they didn't have it in stock when the listing went up - which is poor at best on something like this.
    I suspect you're right. With Google image search it would be easy to just grab a picture without thinking too hard about where it came from. 

PMT basically do a Google search for all their prices at the till anyway, what's the difference in nicking a photo whilst you're at it?  :o
    :open_mouth: