New Reverend Gil Parris sig

What's Hot
I know they make traditional T-style models, but I did a double-take when I saw this. Wouldn't float my boat because of the Fluence pickups, but an interesting entrant into the crowded 'affordable Strat' market.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3037
    What is the 'affordable Strat' market these days? At £1,300, that would make American Performer series Strats seem cheap, especially as they're made in America rather than South Korea... 

A few years ago Reverend seemed to offer great value for money, but that seems to have changed, after all the new Epiphone Prophecy range are offering Fluence pickups for about half the cost of these Strat copies.
  • Should perhaps have been 'affordable' Strat! I'm not a fan particularly, but anecdotally their QC seems to be very good, and Korean factories can make guitars just as well as American ones, so it's hard to criticise Reverend for hiking prices along with everyone else. And if these have the same resale value as other Reverends, nearly-new ones will be available for a whole lot less before long.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7344
    edited December 2020 tFB Trader
    Whenever I see these guitars mentioned I always think "I didn't realise [endorser] was ordained"
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    Whenever I see these guitars mentioned I always think "I didn't realise [endorser] was ordained"
    And then see the endorsee’s name and think, ‘who’?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Never tried any but I've yet to see a Reverend I've liked.

• Bigsby said:
    What is the 'affordable Strat' market these days? At £1,300, that would make American Performer series Strats seem cheap, especially as they're made in America rather than South Korea... 

A few years ago Reverend seemed to offer great value for money, but that seems to have changed, after all the new Epiphone Prophecy range are offering Fluence pickups for about half the cost of these Strat copies.
    They seem to be inflating the cost of the artist sigs when they have Fluence pickups. I'm just not sure the value is there, when you can buy a Charvel tele-style with Fluence pickups for £800. I'd pay £800-£900 for a Reverend any day, the quality is up there with anything Mexican or American.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 3037
    Just to be clear, I do like Reverends, I know how well made they are, and I currently own three of them... I'm just surprised by the price of this Strat clone: It's a bolt-on neck Korean-made Strat, in a competitive market, selling for more than some US-made Fenders and some Gibsons too. And it's not as if Fender and Gibson prices have been standing still!

For comparison, the current Epiphone SG Modern is, in several ways, better spec'd than the Gibson equivalent, and sells for about a third of the price. I haven't played either, and accept it may be an unfair comparison, but the market place expects a price differential between US-made and Rest-of-the-World mass produced guitars.

I dread to think how much Reverends would be costing now if they'd kept their production in the USA.  :o
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1358
    They hold totally sign up The Reverend Horton Heat as an endorsee...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...