Decisions , Blade Delta or G&L Asat Tribute

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 474
I'm hankering after a tele to go with my Epiphone Les Paul, I've been offered a Levinson Blade Delta Standard for £265 plus post and a G&L Asat Tribute for £290 plus. They are both black single coil and simple (the Blade doesn't have the VSC thing). I prefer a slimmer neck, something akin to a modern C. I have a tele that I built from a Gear4Music kit which is fun but the neck is half a baseball bat and, whilst I have big palms my fingers are a tad short so I'm struggling to wrap my thumb over (something I don't have a problem with on the Les Paul or my Taylor Big Baby). So does anyone have an opinion on either? Please keep in mind that I don't want to spend more than £300ish on it (as much as i'd like a MIA unless i drop the Euro Lottery this week, its not happening). Also feel free to offer me something telecaster shaped =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    Levinson. Thank me later.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The G&L will probably have better value retention should you try and upgrade at a later date but maybe throw in a classic vibe into the mix? You’ll probably sell that for more than you pay for it at current escalations.
    all 3 are very well respected guitars and you won’t be dealt a turkey. Some g&l have USA parts and pickups I think high makes them a real bargain. 
    I’ve owned USA G&L and squire clsssic vibes. I’d happily have a classic vibe again and the g&l was an immense guitar. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Blade all day long and twice on a sunday.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I've got three g&l guitars,  a legacy special with the cool rails and a doheny v12 with the mfd  humbuckers and a tribute l2000. They're all great guitars. I've not had experience with an asat though! There's at least three configurations with the pickups. If you want a t style guitar that's more like a tele then be sure to get one with alnico pickups and not mfd. Build quality is always good and excellent components on tributes
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I have a Levinson Blade Strat and it is probably the best-made guitar I have; the tolerance on the neck pocket must be less than a millimetre.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Much as I like G&L, I'd still go with the Levinson.
  • Either should be a decent tele type on a budget, pretty sure both have necks on the slim side. With the Tribute you get the same MFD pickups as used in the G&L American made model, slightly different take on the t sound but still very teleish
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    prowla said:
    I have a Levinson Blade Strat and it is probably the best-made guitar I have; the tolerance on the neck pocket must be less than a millimetre.
    Mine is the same one as yours. Identical serials and colour. Bought off a Mick Mason....yours too?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    edited December 2020
    Gassage said:
    prowla said:
    Mine is the same one as yours. Identical serials and colour. Bought off a Mick Mason....yours too?

Haha - that got a loud chuckle!

I collected the Blade in person in February from an ex-mining town in Nottinghamshire and handed over cash; this is what it was, with the non-infringing neck.

But I already had an older neck, so I swapped them over.

The seller also included the original middle pickup, so that went back onto it.

This "Texas" is not their top-of-the-range model, so they must be darned awesome!
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    Done it, pulled the trigger on the Blade Delta, fingers crossed it arrives in one piece now :)
    ta for all the advice, it swung it towards the blade but it was a close thing
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Where is the Blade made? I played a couple of Blades and they ranged from really good to not great but I cant really remember what difference there was in the models etc...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10074
    I've got a Tribute ASAT and have to say that I'm not overly impressed with the build quality. Sounds great but I reckon a Mexican Fender is a better instrument. No experience of Levison but I've only heard good things.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • DannicDannic Frets: 49
    prowla said:

This "Texas" is not their top-of-the-range model, so they must be darned awesome!
    I’ve had the flagship Blade R4 (in my avatar) since ‘91 and yes, they are very special. 
  • DannicDannic Frets: 49
    Jetfire said:
    Where is the Blade made? I played a couple of Blades and they ranged from really good to not great but I cant really remember what difference there was in the models etc...
    https://www.bladeguitars.com/