WTB new American Tele - all advice welcome!

What's Hot
Hi all
Having not had any luck with finding a Larry Carlton 335 yet, thoughts are turning to another iconic guitar to add to my collection - a (new) blackguard American Tele. However, having had a bit of a look around online (haven’t played yet any as there’s no opportunity to do so in Tier 4), it seems there are a few to choose from (Performer, Professional II, Original 50’s and 70th anniversary Broadcaster).

Does anyone have any experience and comments on these - which one is the best value, best balance of originality and playability, especially for someone with average-size, rather than large hands (thinking about U-shape necks!) although I believe they all have 9.5” radius fretboards, which will be an improvement on the 7.25” on my ‘59 AVRI strat.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited December 2020
    Whats your budget, and does it have to be a US Tele? There are some great Mexican options including the Vintera range, and Japanese Fender Teles too. And there are some great non Fender Teles out there too. 

May be the first thing to think about aside from budget, is the type of Tele you want. Are you looking for traditional single coils, deluxe style with single bridge and neck humbucker, custom style with twin humbuckers, solid or thinline, conventional or S1 or other switching options and do you want ash or alder body, rosewood or maple neck, 6 saddle or 3 saddle bridge? And there are other variations, Fender and non Fender, that will have more modern takes e.g. body contouring, 3 pick up variants, and there are the virtues of a single pickup Esquire variant. 

So, in the words of Arthur Daley:

Classic British TV  on Twitter George Cole as Arthur Daley
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • My personal opinion, before you make a purchase try to get your hands on a used Elite from 2016-19 I think, the compound radius neck is sublime and a great range of sounds available.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/osrohsdxp43wu8i/AACjfnI5ElEPeeD6eoyFBrtpa?dl=0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    matteo68 said:
    I believe they all have 9.5” radius fretboards, which will be an improvement on the 7.25” on my ‘59 AV strat.
    IMHO, if you struggle with a deep neck profile and the 7.25" radius, you do not really want a Blackguard. These features are essential parts of the playing experience. (I blow hot and cold with my pre-2013 AVRI'52 because the neck is too shallow.)

try to get your hands on a used Elite from 2016-19 I think, the compound radius neck is sublime and a great range of sounds available.
    Excellent suggestion. The modern compound radius necks are a doddle to whizz about on. This reduces the fight that the guitar puts up. It becomes a generic object that happens to have the shape of a Fender Telecaster.

My suggestion for a guitar that combines Blackguard looks with modern improvements is the Hot Rod '52. Some wiring modifications would increase its sonic versatility.

Second choice, the 2011 Tele-bration Brown's Canyon / Old Growth Redwood. Twangy bridge PU meets Strat-voiced neck PU. A Freeway 3B3 selector switch  would offer six usable sounds with no push-pull switch nonsense.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Thanks both. I think I may have to wait until guitar shops re-open to try and sample a few and try and find  an Elite that you mentioned. At the moment I think I want solid body, single coil at neck and bridge, 3 saddles, ash body and a maple neck but that could easily change!

Doesn’t have to be American either - I hear the Players are very good too for a lot less money.
  • If you’re liking the look of the elite series, also have a look at the deluxe series which preceded the elite. I think the specs are pretty much identical. 
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • If you’re liking the look of the elite series, also have a look at the deluxe series which preceded the elite. I think the specs are pretty much identical. 
    Thanks, will have a look at those too.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited December 2020
    matteo68 said:
     At the moment I think I want solid body, single coil at neck and bridge, 3 saddles, ash body and a maple neck but that could easily change!.
    I had the same itch and based on reviews and vids I took a punt on a Harley Benton TE52-NA. It cost  me a £139 from Thomann, black guard, and 9.5" radius neck. Those that are familiar with my posts will know that I have absolutely raved about this guitar. 

The build quality, neck comfort and playability, and tonal quality from the stock pickups is simply outstanding. I like a very low action and the neck was so well set it needed no adjustment, and by lowering the saddles I got it so ridiculously low that I actually had to raise it a bit!  I upgraded the 3 piece chrome saddles to 3 piece brass compensated, and the tuners, but in truth the stock ones were perfectly serviceable. 

To put this in perspective, amongst 12 quality electrics, I have a lovely 1988 USA Fender Telecaster Standard, alder, rosewood board, 6 piece bridge.  And I prefer the HB! For the last month it's the only guitar I've played.  I'd gig this guitar in a heartbeat! 

All I'm saying is you don't need to spend big bucks to get a cracking guitar. See my posts for more info, pics and the video from Sean that sold it for me. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1474
    American originals are very very good. As in I got one in April ish and I have only just now picked up my CS Strat. Not cheap at £1600 ish but very good imho
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Yes I think they are just be careful though because the early ones don’t have the compound radius. I think fender introduced it around 2010.

The bottom link you posted looks reasonable to me - much better than the other two..  but I guess prices in Bognor Regis are high.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    edited December 2020
    Yoggie said:
    If you’re liking the look of the elite series, also have a look at the deluxe series which preceded the elite. I think the specs are pretty much identical. 
    Yes I think they are just be careful though because the early ones don’t have the compound radius. I think fender introduced it around 2010.

The bottom link you posted looks reasonable to me - much better than the other two..  but I guess prices in Bognor Regis are high.
    He's a well known flipper - definitely wouldn't bother buying from him. Those prices are higher than you could get them new. Keep an eye out on reverb or eBay, even the classifieds here and you'll eventually find the same models possibly a few hundred less than that.

Also - for 2k, if you're looking at spending that much, you could possibly get a CS.
  • Yoggie said:
    If you’re liking the look of the elite series, also have a look at the deluxe series which preceded the elite. I think the specs are pretty much identical. 

I think you’re right. I’ve got a 2007 deluxe Tele and its got a straight 9.5” radius. Still a very comfy profile though. Locking tuners on the deluxe’s didn’t come in until 2008 either. 

The Swamp City Shakers