Who played guitar for Shakin Stevens?

What's Hot
xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
I was just in a shop where playing in the background was of all things "This Ole House", which immediately got me wondering who played the fabulous guitar break on it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    My random guess is Billy Bremner, he did quite a few rockabilly things around that period. And, no, not the footballer.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Mickey Gee
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tum the tum... Google my bum...can't be 100% sure but looks like he played on all the Shakey stuff from his hits period so probably was him. He has an amazing discography looking at Wiki.
    ...and looks like @not_the_dj was right. Doh! :o3
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Cheers lads.

I'll have to google these blokes. I always liked the solo off that song "You drive me crazy" as well.
  • Yes Mickey Gee.  Excellent player.... but, sadly, he's no longer with us.

In the 60s, he played with Tom Jones ... and Lulu.  Went on to play with loads of people (including Willie and the Poor Boys - a bit of a Bill Wyman project - and there's a DVD of them gigging).  In later years you could see him playing in various pubs across Cardiff area. 

You'll find footage of various performances on YouTube - including some with Dave Edmunds.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Googled his name after the earlier posts. Quite a career he had. I'll be sure to follow it up by looking at a few vids. Great player and great tone on those Shakey hits. 
  • Had the pleasure of meeting him at a pub gig.  Seemed like a really nice and humble guy.  He even kindly let me try his custom made Tele.  No heirs or graces... just awesome talent.

In later years, he suffered some health issues... but still gigged when he could... and still had the magic.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    Mickey was a great player and a real character, met him loads of times years ago always the unofficial best guitarist in Wales.
    But also Albert Lee played on some singles, plus Ian Lawrence from what I can remember.
    Mickey Blew out a tour to states with Shaky as when they went to pick him up to go to airport, he was sitting in the garden with a cocktail saying it's a nice day so don't want to go anymore. They had to fly without him and get replacement over there.
    I think I played with him once when I was about 15 at the Pontygwyndy hotel(which is now a Beefeater pub I think opposite Carrefor in Caerphilly!
    :\">
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom