New trem required, any suggestions?

dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
The current trem on my OLP MM04, has finally pissed me off to the degree that I'm thinking of an upgrade. It's a traditional Strat style 6 screw job and frankly, feels horrible. I've measured up and the outside attachment screws are 52.5mm and having had a look, there some to be quite a few twin pivot models that could be adapted with a bit of precision drilling.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice as to any suitable replacements?. I've used a couple of Trev Wilkinson's before and they have been pretty good but I'm open to suggestions.

Almost forgot to mention, when holding the trem bar by the plastic end, my knuckles are 4" above the strings. Thanks to whoever worked out the bend radii on that bugger  :#

Cheers.    
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    edited December 2020
    I am thinking of upgrading my trem also ones that I like the look of so far are

super vee blade runner

floyd rose rail tail (but this is dive only)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    edited December 2020
    The stock vibrato is probably a Sung-il with the skinny, tapered, zinc sustain block. Return to pitch is indifferent. Most owners set the baseplate down against the body and leave the arm in the case. 

IMO, you are fortunate to have the six screw mounting. The two-point Sung-il vibrato used on the S.U.B. Silo has its pivot posts and inserts at unconventional distances apart. Direct replacement of that system is next to impossible.

A Wilkinson fulcrum vibrato with a steel sustain block of the correct depth would be a wise choice. 

The angle at which an arm leaves a vibrato block is fixed. The angle of any bends in the arm can be changed using a vice. 

phil_b said:
    Nice hardware but costing considerably more than the host guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011

phil_b said:
    Nice hardware but costing considerably more than the host guitar.

now you are just being logical
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    @phil_b and @funkfingers thanks for the replies chaps. I'll probably got with another of Mr Wilko's models as thay are normally well engineered for the money and the last one I fitted came with a big block.

Re; The trem arm, yup done a couple before but why the hell do the choose these compound radii that makes them damn near impossible to play. Hank B uses a trem a fair old bit and the trem arm he uses has a single simple 90 degree bend. 

Cheers, amigos!

dilbert