Anyone got an Evertune equipped guitar?

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
edited December 2020 in Guitar
I don't know what it is but every Gibson I've ever owned has tuning problems. By the end of each song it's out of tune. Even with locking tunings and a proper set up, finely stretched strings it just doesn't hold tuning well. 

So I've given up on them. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the break angle, the bridge I dunno. My Musicman, Fenders, Suhr don't have this issue. 

I want a LP type and the ESP Eclipse with Evertune bridge has caught my eye, and I'm hoping that this will negate any tuning issues caused by the break angle or whatever it is that makes LP's so bad at keeping tune. 

Anyone got one? How's the tuning stability? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've never tried an Evertune but my LTD EC1000s used to stay in tune perfectly back when I was gigging. Only change I made to them was fitting a Graphtec bridge, but that wasn't because of a tuning  issue 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 265
    You could try Jon Shuker at Shuker guitars I believe he’s an authorized installer/agent and some of his guitars feature an Evertune bridge, though you may have to wait until the hols are over.
    I have found him very helpful in the past. 
  • Yes I have one.

The stability is brilliant.

Bye!

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Yes I have one.

Thanks. What guitar is that on?
  • ricorico Frets: 1221
    I have had many Gibson guitars and have very very VERY rarely, if ever, had tuning problems. Assuming it's set up well and the nut is cut and lubricated properly there should be no issues. 

I tried an evertune equipped guitar when recording once and found it very strange - you can bend the life out of the string and it doesn't change pitch at all. 
    rico said:
    I have had many Gibson guitars and have very very VERY rarely, if ever, had tuning problems. Assuming it's set up well and the nut is cut and lubricated properly there should be no issues. 

I tried an evertune equipped guitar when recording once and found it very strange - you can bend the life out of the string and it doesn't change pitch at all. 
    I don't really want to get into a thing about Gibsons and tuning issues but it's well documented and guitars with that style headstock are the only ones I've ever had problems with. 

So you mean you can't do bends on them?
  • Yes I have one.

Thanks. What guitar is that on?
    LTD EC1000ET. 

I have 11's on it in drop-A. That isn't really doable on a non-Evertune guitar in my experience.

It's a great bridge. Very comfy for palm mutes. I like that you can just pick it up and play, without having to cock around with tuning.

It's not my main guitar however, because my Orville LP plays nicer, probably thanks to the Feline fretwork. I keep meaning to take my LTD over there and get that spruced up too, but never find the time.

Bye!

• So you mean you can't do bends on them?
    From what I've read about them, you can set them up so that you can't do bends, or you can set them so that the guitar plays normally (including bends), but still stays perfectly in tune 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17501

From what I've read about them, you can set them up so that you can't do bends, or you can set them so that the guitar plays normally (including bends), but still stays perfectly in tune 
    Or set them up so you have to bend a bit before any pitch change starts to occur, preventing accidental bends.

• WezV said:

Or set them up so you have to bend a bit before any pitch change starts to occur, preventing accidental bends.

That must take a bit of getting used to!

• WezVWezV Frets: 17501
    edited December 2020
    I imagine most would adjust quite quickly.    Similar to bending on fanned frets,  years of muscle memory don't do you any favours at first, but give it a few mins and its all good again.

But thats the point of the evertune.  It will resist attempts to alter the pitch.... you can  set it up anywhere from bends feeling quite normal to bends being nearly impossible.

• xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1118
    I CNC'ed a replacement RG 550 h/s body for an evertune earlier this year,i only had the unit at hand and didn't ever have it strung up,but i have to say the unit wasextremely well made &looking at a lot of YT vids it seems a great idea

It's Not something id want to do/mod to an existing body with just templates though (as i recall ET sell a set of diy template for $100) as there are a lot of overlapping pockets and not much tolerance for errors

Was a fun project,buyer is still waitting on the body to come back from finishing & final rebuild-setup.

• Got a solar and LTD with evertune and love them. Still bend as normal etc etc as each saddle had its own spring you can set each string to bend or not. Has made recording so much less faff between takes and restringing is a breeze.
  • On the bending thing, I do notice a slight difference in behaviour. But you get used to it very quickly.

Intonation seems better on an Evertune bridge too.

Bye!

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Pondering whether to sell a couple of guitars and get an ESP Eclipse with Evertune. It seems like a nice guitar and the tuning stability would be great as I love LP style guitars, just not some of the issues that go along with them. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    I had 2
    I sold one, basically because I only used the other one, which I had upgraded: EMG active pickups and a True Temperament Warmoth neck

Evertune does everything it says on the tin, there are some very good demo videos
    It adds to the weight a little, be aware of that

Mine were both VGS guitars, a HSS strat clone and a curved top strat HH clone

Bending is exactly the same as normal, I did not notice any need to adapt

Mind you: the strings "feel" one gauge up, both bending and with the plectrum

The ESP ones look like your best bet, I think you'd pay a fortune in labour costs to get one installed 
    you can leave the guitar for months, and it's still in tune
    One of mine was posted from Italy in a falling-apart cardboard carton, and was in tune straight out of the box
    Thanks. I think I'll see what pops up. 
    btw
    Have you tried any other upmarket non-Gibson LP style guitars?
    My McNaught was more stable than a Gibson I think
    Surely some of the boutique brands have other options

• I've got a 2006 ESP Eclipse which doesn't have an Evertune, and it maintains it's tuning well.