Storing records

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
edited December 2020 in Guitar
My grandad had a load of vinyl records and my dad has too and I recently discovered they are stacked up in a big pile just inside the entrance to an outbuilding on a farm where to door is closed at night but in no way temp or humidity proof.

Is this bad for the records? 

Probably a ton of old jazz crooners in there but maybe some gems. 

Do records perish in the cold? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Stacking horizontally is what causes them to warp. Store them vertically for a start!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    My ex father in law had stacks of old hmv 78’s stored in his shed...

3tonnes over the weighbridge at the tip in the end!.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11684
    edited December 2020
    If it's a farm building is there a risk of wildlife having a go at the record covers?
  • EskiEski Frets: 35
    I’m not sure cold does the vinyl any harm, heat on the other hand does.  Being stored outside in damp conditions won’t be doing the covers any good though and, if you do have any gems in there, that’s where a good amount of the value will be.
  • Records, particularly shellac, are very prone to storage. General consensus is to keep them stored as upright as possible in an environment you would be comfortable in and away from any sources of heat. I.e. not against the log burner or radiator and not in direct sunlight.

Some of that may be over blown but it’s what I’ve adhered to just in case!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    I've asked if I can have them.  No idea what's in there.  Could be some gems.  Need to get a modern record player though as I don't have one. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I've asked if I can have them.  No idea what's in there.  Could be some gems.  Need to get a modern record player though as I don't have one. 
    Plenty of bargains out there
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20608
    Probably better off getting an old record player, as most modern ones won't do 78rpm.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    Apparently there are some 78s too. Will be a while before I can get them though due to tiers etc.  
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    If there’s 78’s and they are Bakelite, there’s every possibility they will be knackered... vinyl seems to fair better in crap conditions but the Bakelite rots... hence 3 tonnes down the tip...

the sleeves may not be in great nick as it’s essentially paper... and paper and damp don’t mix too well... but... that said... you can prolly clean a lot of it up with very mild soapy water... dry the covers out as best you can first tho’

Have a look at discogs if you are thinking of selling... you’ll be amazed at what people will buy in any condition!...

also, chances are, if your grandad and dad got them from new there’s a few hidden gems there!!!!

• 78s aren't made from Bakelite and, even if they were, it doesn't rot. I've got several radios made of Bakelite that have been stored in less than ideal conditions and they clean up very easily.

78s do easily crack and the content is often not of interest to many people these days which probably explains why they end up being tipped. A few of them also weigh a ton.

That said they can be fun if you have a gramophone or suitable record player. You can get a decent second hand deck for not much although it may need a service