Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So prices have gone down??

What's Hot
tabanotabano Frets: 113
edited January 2021 in Guitar
That’s unexpected ( to me )
but prices on Thomann’s web 
for Harley Davidson’s  have gone down...( I wonder if for Yamahas and others they will do the same )  
time to check them out...
hold on,  but we will have to add vat right?... mmm
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8362
    Are they selling Kawasaki now as well?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    Are they selling Kawasaki now as well?
    Well they do sell Yamaha! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Prices exclude VAT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    All Thomann prices have been reduced .
    Noticed after 23:00 last night a item I paid £77 for yesterday morning is now £66.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4256
    It'll probably be to encourage post brexit sales to the UK customer base.
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 857
    The prices are showing ex VAT. 

Add a HB to your basked and go to checkout, and it’ll show the VAT charge. So a HB tele at £66 on the product page is £87.20 with VAT and delivery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Rich31k said:
    The prices are showing ex VAT. 

Add a HB to your basked and go to checkout, and it’ll show the VAT charge. So a HB tele at £66 on the product page is £87.20 with VAT and delivery. 
    ... until it’s over £135. Then Thomann does not charge VAT and leaves it to the courier, so you’ll be on the hook for that, duty if it’s also over £390 and a brokerage fee. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IsambardKentuckyIsambardKentucky Frets: 161
    edited January 2021
    Moved message to other thread - 'Importing from EU post-Brexit'
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    It says “+ VAT”, which it didn’t before.

so you need to add about 25% roughly for the door to door price.
  • tabanotabano Frets: 113
    edited January 2021
    I was expecting a worst price hike, all things considered,
    but for the guitar I’m contemplating to get, a cheapo strat, it comes out at around the same price as before after vat and shipping 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3813
    edited January 2021
    tabano said:
    but for the guitar I’m contemplating to get, a cheapo strat, it comes out at around the same price as before after vat and shipping 
    Unless it's a Fender Strat, in which case you won't get it at all (see other thread for details but basically Fender seem to be preventing Thomann from shipping their product into the UK).

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    Direct shipment from the United States to the UK should avoid two lots of Customs duty and fees for paper work. With overheads reduced, the prices could fall a little (but probably will not).  :s
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    tabano said:

That's the way it should be - the tax on the items is simply being broken out into a separate line item, but you only pay it the once.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Direct shipment from the United States to the UK should avoid two lots of Customs duty and fees for paper work. With overheads reduced, the prices could fall a little (but probably will not).  :s
    Don't know how all this will pan out - PRS Guitars all come to the UK, for EU distribution after, so Fender in reverse - Surely there can't be 2 sets of duty - Can there ?

Then I suppose you need to take into account a triangulation of exchange rates of £ $ and Euro and does one favour a lower shop/till price today, but that might change a few weeks later 

Will be interesting to see what happens with this Thomann (and others) stating they can't ship new Fender Guitars into the UK now - Not sure the EU trading regulations will allow this, as surely some form of restrictive practice - But if allowed, then I expect others in our trade, and probably other trades, to join in

But will it happen the other way around in that Fender, plus other suppliers, restricting UK dealers selling such new guitars outside of the UK 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1474
    This kind of happened a few years ago with motorbikes. Mid to late 90s iirc. European prices were substantially lower than the official bikes were retailing at in the UK. This led to a secondary market for ‘grey’ imports- several UK retailers joined up with European providers and brought over brand new bikes that retailed at about 10% lower than those officially imported. All totally legal. The manufacturers didn’t care- they still shifted units but there was quite a lot of wailing and knashing of teeth by the official dealers. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    Surely, there can't be 2 sets of duty - Can there ?
    Try thinking like a tax collector or an accountant.

US > EU = One opportunity to take a cut.
    EU > UK = Second opportunity.

Be grateful that we are not subject to Italian purchase tax rules.  :o
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    So let me get this straight, because the 20 odd threads that have been hijacked to reiterate the exact same point ad nauseam haven't made it abundantly clear, do we have to pay additional VAT on imported instruments from the EU now? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25574
    RobertW said:
    So let me get this straight, because the 20 odd threads that have been hijacked to reiterate the exact same point ad nauseam haven't made it abundantly clear, do we have to pay additional VAT on imported instruments from the EU now? 
    You’ll pay import and then vat on the item price AND on the shipping cost.

Just like from the USA.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    RobertW said:

Just like from the USA.
    That’s not what the Free Trade deal says. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    edited January 2021
    prowla said:
    RobertW said:

Just like from the USA.
    That’s not what the Free Trade deal says. 
    Free Trade Deals don't address VAT 

Free Trade Deals are centred on products and produce that originate within a defined territory i.e Rules of Origin apply.

A guitar manufactured in EU with EU sourced parts & labour = Duty Free but VAT still applies to sale.

Guitars that originate elsewhere but are sold from EU to UK - depending on how things are structured - reseller in EU has already paid EU duty....unless a Freeport or similar exists?

Technically it should be possible to remove Duty in EU and then pay the official UK Duty rate for that product from the original country of origin. To me that sounds like a lot of additional grief - easier for manufacturer to work through distribution in UK i.e bypass EU?

Under the single market, VAT was only levied once - outside of Single Market- HMRC want their cut. 

Looks like there are some arrangements for overseas registering for UK VAT / collecting at point of sale. Equally there appears to be plenty of scenarios where buying 2nd hand from a private seller in EU will become 20% + more expensive. 

My guess is that UK consumer / small trader will buy and sell less with EU.

In short, buying / selling to and from EU is now the same as trading with the U S from a consumer perspective.

Manufactures will re-establish UK Distribution.

Guitars and Music gear are very simple......cars and machinery are not...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom