Gretsch Broadcaster with spruce Center Block .................Owners Opinions ??????????

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16679
How you getting on with it ?
More playable /manageable than a traditional Gretsch ?
same sound or different ?
Pros and Cons please 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• We've spoken about these already Dominic so I won't bore you again but @Benm39 may be able to chime in - I think he loves his 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 840
    Yup, love the one I purchased from you @DrCornelius . The fit and finish is excellent and plays beautifully (*to the extent my awful playing standard allows hehe). 

I've not played a 'full fat' Gretsch with filtertrons and the deeper body through an amp so have no direct comparison experience but comparing to sound samples of 6120s and other big body Gretsch online I'd say that the Broadkaster and its Fullertron pups can definitely produce a good gretsch 'twang' but also warm and fatten up nicely with the tone dialled down,  especially on the neck pup to give a really satisfying jazz tone too... the comparison someone made re the Broadkaster being akin to a Gretsch-flavoured 335 is a good analogy I think.  I find it a really versatile and very satisfying instrument... definitely prize of my small collection to date and my go to when I plug in and I'm also really pleased it has a string thru rather than traditional loop and hook Bigsby when it comes to string changing!
  • I’ve got a 5655jnr I think it’s the same sorta thing but Chinese made. I like it. It’s noticably it’s own thing from my 335 and Les Paul. Certainly when I started playing some Roses stuff it all starts to make sense... 
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited January 2021
    Gibson semi without the “mud” or with more sparkle. Not that all gibsons are muddy sounding but I felt that was the target.

Liked them a lot. If size is not an issue, the 335-si”gaped ones look better. I think the honourable @DrCornelius had a white one (?).

Better quality than average Gibson but you probably already know that.

They certainly feel like semi/solid. Not a bad thing.
  • I’ve never played one believe it or not 
  • melod said:
    Gibson semi without the “mud” or with more sparkle. Not that all gibsons are muddy sounding but I felt that was the target.

Liked them a lot. If size is not an issue, the 335-si”gaped ones look better. I think the honourable @DrCornelius had a white one (?).

Better quality than average Gibson but you probably already know that.

They certainly feel like semi/solid. Not a bad thing.
    I agree with you Melod and I've already bored the crap out of Dominic about it on the phone :-)