cheap cheap tops for a guitar?

OK, to cut a long story short, I have a knackered old 7 string body, and I want to stick some kind of top to front and back which I will then paint over. Can anyone think of a cheap way to do this? I don't want to buy a couple of actual guitar tops off of eBay as it will be too expensive, and it's just a cheap project. 

Basic problem - It had a ton of ugly routing on the top, and trem cavity on the bottom. I blocked those in with wood some years ago for my son, and then used filler in the gaps, but the filler just cracked over time due to string tension. Ideally I want to skim a few mm off of top and bottom and put a flat bit of wood on.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mooncatmooncat Frets: 118
    You could use very thin plywood to resist any movement of the filler and repairs coming back.
    Slec uk ltd (www.slecuk.com) sells birch ply as thin as 1/64" (0.4mm in pre brexit measurements) so would not really require any wood to bee removed .
    Its also good for neck shims!

• RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    Do you need structural support against cracking, or just cosmetics? For cosmetics you could veneer it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73104
    I would use ply, probably about 4-6mm. You can get some pretty decent quality stuff with void-free facings for not a lot of money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2011
    use an epoxy filler and paint it a solid colour.
    axisus said:
     I want to skim a few mm off of top and bottom and put a flat bit of wood on.

Any thoughts?
    unless you have access to a thickness plainer this would be more work than it worth.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    ICBM said:
    I would use ply, probably about 4-6mm. You can get some pretty decent quality stuff with void-free facings for not a lot of money.
    Wouldn't ply have a horrible edge, particularly with roundover rout?
    phil_b said:
    use an epoxy filler and paint it a solid colour.
    axisus said:
     I want to skim a few mm off of top and bottom and put a flat bit of wood on.

Any thoughts?
    unless you have access to a thickness plainer this would be more work than it worth.

I do that with router/home made jig

mooncat said:
    You could use very thin plywood to resist any movement of the filler and repairs coming back.
    Slec uk ltd (www.slecuk.com) sells birch ply as thin as 1/64" (0.4mm in pre brexit measurements) so would not really require any wood to bee removed .
    Its also good for neck shims!

Ta, useful site.

Roland said:
    Do you need structural support against cracking, or just cosmetics? For cosmetics you could veneer it.
    I think it will need to be more than veneer.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    edited January 2021
    I tend to use thin constructional veneer for this kind of thing

Like this.. using 3mm basswood.  But I have done others with 2mm maple

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/118954/squier-strat-rebuild/p1

WezV said:
    I tend to use thin constructional veneer for this kind of thing

Like this.. using 3mm basswood.  But I have done others with 2mm maple

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/118954/squier-strat-rebuild/p1

No surprise that you did an excellent job there! 

Where do you source constructional veneer from?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    As it happens, I was playing this guitar yesterday and it still looks great. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73104
    axisus said:

Wouldn't ply have a horrible edge, particularly with roundover rout?
    It might be a bit rough, but you can sand it smooth. It shouldn't matter if you're going to paint it.

I did it to an old hacked-about Gibson SG200 once - filled all the front holes, ply over the top, re-routed as an SG Standard, and painted it bright red :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein