Gretsch switch issue

What's Hot
I have a Gretsch Electromatic G5655T-CB which I love. But, the pickup selector switch I think needs fixing. If I switch to the middle or bridge pickup it either doesn’t switch on or is glitchy. I guess it might just need switch cleaner, but if it needs replacing or other similar work, how do you access the wiring in the guitar? I’m familiar with a strat where you can easily access it all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    Access will be via the neck pickup aperture. 

You will need to something to place between the pickup and the finish to prevent scratch damage.

Use a switch collar removal tool to slacken the fastening ring. Reach inside to grasp the switch body before it falls in and allows the lock washer to rattle around inside the body.

Ease the selector switch towards the neck pickup aperture. Clean its contacts. If the switch is uncooperative, consider upgrading to a Switchcraft type. 

Refitting is the reverse of the removal sequence.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Try switch cleaner first. Just spray it down into the switch from the outside using the tube on the can.

If that doesn’t fix it you’ll need to get the switch out to clean it properly or re-tension the contacts, which is done via the neck pickup cavity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks. I’ll try the switch cleaner and see how I get on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom