Fender Locking Tuner - just one?

What's Hot
HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1053
I appear to have a faulty tuner on my Strat, which sports the Fender locking (retrofitted when new, a decade and a half ago).  It suddely has 270 (where's the degree symbol?) of backlash on it, so clearly not wear and tear, some form of failure of worm or wheel... I don't recall bashing it, but...

Thought I'd try to buy just a single matching one, but can't find a vendor; I've tried through the usual sources/Google.  Can anyone recommend somewhere?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    Do you have the Fender/Schaller type with the heavily knurled lockwheel or the Fender/Ping type with the F logo on the wheel?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1053
    The Fender/Schaller type.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1053
    They are height staggerred too.  It's the low E that's gone - though if you can point me, they are easy to swap.
  • I’d try dropping Fender a mail you never know, but I expect you’ll end up buying a set unless your very lucky. Idea though if your hell bent on having the F on the Schaller, try and see if you can disassemble it so you can keep the thumb wheel and transfer it to the new one may make the search easier 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited January 2021
    @Headphones which tuner is it? They should have staggered height posts (3x high for EAD and 3x low for gbe). If you need a high one, but can only get a low, get the low anyway and swap your tuners around so you have 4x low (Dgbe) and 2x high (EA) - much better break angle over the nut for the D string. 

Edit: Just realised that 'high' and 'low' might be confusing. I am referring to the height of the hole in the tuner post relative to the headstock face. Low for gbe so string is close to headstock face/ greater break angle over nut. 

Fender/Ping with the satin 'F' on the locking wheel are their own thing. 

Schaller no longer make them for Fender at all, but Fender have recently cleared out a few spares via some suppliers. Schaller changed their design slightly around 2016 (internally - they look the same) so I don't think you can swap parts between old and new Schaller. If the locking wheel is plain or has an 'S' physically embossed into it then you can swap parts. If it has a satin 'S' it's the new version.

Saint Music on ebay have had the occasional low height (gbe) plain locking wheel/old version Schaller for sale on eBay recently — might be worth a message:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353285676645
    I have a spare current version Schaller with the satin 'S' for sale, again low height.