Which song was your ‘showpiece’?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I played in a Country band and we had some good Tele twangin' stuff ( Brad Paisley/Keith Urban etc ) but the best reaction was always Billy Ray's Achey Breaky Heart 
    Not a difficult song but in a covers band we did Tom Jones and Stereophonics version of the 3 Dog Night Classic "Mama told me not to come " which was always popular.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    Gotta be 'alright now' by Free. Love playing the solo to this! Especially as there is some clear air to hear the guitar.

Also, 'simply the best' by Tina Turner. I loosely follow the sax solo from the record. Now that song is a crown pleaser. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    Smelly Cat, Pheobe Buffy.

I can nail both versions.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited March 2021
    Yngwie: Rising Force
    Full album at 3x speed
    Ho ho lol....
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    edited March 2021
    The last band I was in was an attempt to popularise the solo works of the Beatles - it didn’t work in terms of audiences but it was good fun. We did No More Lonely Nights so I got to do an extended Gilmour-esque solo which people seemed to love. To be fair it’s not that hard to sound a bit like DG (which is no slight) and using waaay more effects than I normally would helped to impress   I did discover that you need 22 frets for that one though!
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    edited April 2021
    @fastonebaz ;;
    In the acdc tribute band it was Let the be Rock.

I think my favourite of yours was the Dirty Deeds solo with the descending tapping run ( not strictly Angus but sounded great ) Short and sweet :)

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9795
    I'm not a technical player, I love trying to play big solos or riffs in the comfort of my own home, but as I'm musically anti social any gigs I've done have generally just been me solo singing and playing guitar or piano, which generally requires more rhythm playing than lead and a bit more introverted music I suppose.

And despite me trying a fairly wide variety of songs and styles for this kind of set up, and despite my playing sounding more accomplished or skillful on probably most of the other songs I do, the one I always get asked to "do that one again next time please" is my stretched out version of Nancy Sinatra's cover of Bang Bang My Baby Shot Me Down, within which I sneak in a verse and bits of solos from the Doors Riders on the Storm (the "you gotta love your man" verse and the solo) in place of the "music played and people sang" bit.

It's quite baffling how that one is the most popular but it's fun to play and build it up to be a bit louder with each chorus!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Logie said:
    @fastonebaz ;;
    In the acdc tribute band it was Let the be Rock.

I think my favourite of yours was the Dirty Deeds solo with the descending tapping run ( not strictly Angus but sounded great ) Short and sweet :)

Ah those were the days :wink: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    When I was in cover bands it was The Fly U2, soooo much fun to play and that came through, getting that massive delayed tone and giving it some beans seemed to get more reaction than the more traditional, and more technical, guitar set pieces. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10419
    dindude said:
    When I was in cover bands it was The Fly U2, soooo much fun to play and that came through, getting that massive delayed tone and giving it some beans seemed to get more reaction than the more traditional, and more technical, guitar set pieces. 
    I love the solo on that, such an aggressive tone but so melodic. I would have been happy to gig that whole album 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Danny1969 said:
    dindude said:
    I love the solo on that, such an aggressive tone but so melodic. I would have been happy to gig that whole album 
    Yeah, spot on, the whole album is great but it’s also a great guitar album and the tones throughout are masterful 
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Logie said:

I was having a piss afterward and a bloke in the next urinal turned round to me with a proper withering look and said " you were fucking shit mate " and walked off

That made me cry with laughter. :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Logie said:
    I was having a piss afterward and a bloke in the next urinal turned round to me with a proper withering look and said " you were fucking shit mate " and walked off 

@darius ;
    That made me cry with laughter. 

It was quite traumatic :)

As a footnote, I was so upset with the experience I sold my guitar and amp 3 weeks later and didn't buy another for nearly a year!