Is Pink Floyd's The Wall the greatest concept album of all time?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824

Looking at this list on Wikipedia, there are quite a few I own but never realised they were concept albums:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concept_albums

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's not even the best concept album by Pink Floyd.

I'd go with Brave by Marillion
    But Quadrophenia has to be up there

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Philly_Q said:

Looking at this list on Wikipedia, there are quite a few I own but never realised they were concept albums:

Not that I want to do the analysis, but out of that list which one would have the most units sold?  That would be a clinical way to answer the question, no?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    Haych said:
    Philly_Q said:

Not that I want to do the analysis, but out of that list which one would have the most units sold?  That would be a clinical way to answer the question, no?
    Not a clue, but I guess The Wall would be up there.  Although I noticed they included Hotel California.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    Philly_Q said:

Not a clue, but I guess The Wall would be up there.  Although I noticed they included Hotel California.
    Cross referencing this list would give you DSotM.

Dagnamit!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    edited January 2021
    Depends how you define "concept album" to be honest. If you'd class Ziggy Stardust as such, that's probably mine.
    It's not. And I have that on good authority from Ken Scott who produced it.

Hell of an album though.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    The best concept album of modern times is 'The Race For Space' by Public Service Broadcasting.
    Excellent theme, music, and execution.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The Wall is one of them, but I actually think most of Pink Floyd's Waters-period albums are as good, as is Amused To Death.

I also think ELO's Time is very underrated - it's amazing, considering that it was released in 1981, and is about the future - that sort of thing generally looks horribly dated very quickly, but Time doesn't.

Other favourites of mine would be Camel - Stationary Traveller; Eagles - Desperado; Green Day - American Idiot; Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love and The Who - Quadrophenia

But there are a lot on that list that I don't think are really concept albums either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    edited January 2021
    No. 

Death Cab For Cutie’s ‘Transatlanticism’ or Sufjan Stevens’ ‘Come On Feel (The Illinoise)’ would be my personal picks, with a shout to ‘Funeral’ by Arcade Fire to round out my top 3. I feel like very few concept albums from the 70s/80s have stood the test of time...
  • Good to see 7th son mentioned ,never thought of it like that , crimson idol defo best of a bad bunch  what’s the kiss one ,the elder ,bit of a turkey. 

The best one I can think of is Desperado by the Eagles  although I’m wondering now if Hotel California could be classed as one as the songs do seem linked to either the hedonism of the times and people moving to the west coast 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

The best one I can think of is Desperado by the Eagles  although I’m wondering now if Hotel California could be classed as one as the songs do seem linked to either the hedonism of the times and people moving to the west coast 
    I think Desperado is - all the songs are linked to a specific concept - but Hotel California isn't, it's just a collection of songs written in a particular place and time... mostly not specifically about the California lifestyle even though it's now completely associated with it.

I also think Sgt. Peppers isn't, although it was intended to be originally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh yeah Marillion's Brave is awesome. 

I do love The Wall though. 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Kate Bush the Ninth Wave (side 2 of Hounds of Love). Stunning live as part of the Before the Dawn live show.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I don't like a question like this, as it is loaded for people to want to shoot it down.

Having said that, yes for me, by a country mile. I find that it has an unbelievable level of power and emotion. Gilmours lead guitar tone is sensational, edgy and aggressive at times, then majestic with Comfortably numb. Also, I think that the Another brick in the wall pt 2 solo is unbelievably nuanced. Perfecto. I love the fact that it has great darkness, and is not afraid to stick very short songs in to further the story. Rogers singing is brilliant throughout. There isn't a moment on the album that I don't love, and Nobody home is one of my favourite ever 'lonely' songs. Big big yes!
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    The Wall is one of the best Earls Court concerts I’ve been to.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    There’s a Roger Walters The Wall film up on Netflix. Not seen it before, seems to be Rog visiting various war cemeteries mixed with live footage. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 631
    Saint Etienne: Tales from Turnpike House.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Parts of the wall are mind blowing, but it's also got some junk on it too. Always strikes me as 2 songs too long.

My favourite concept album is Hand.cannot.erase by Steven Wilson. One of the few albums that I always want to hear start to finish.

• Rush's loose concept album Clockwork Angels deserves an honourable mention - the musicianship is terrifyingly good.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    There’s a Roger Walters The Wall film up on Netflix. Not seen it before, seems to be Rog visiting various war cemeteries mixed with live footage. 
    I saw that with the wife when it was in the cinemas for one night. It was superb and afterwards when the credits were rolling nobody in the cinema moved or said anything .... totally silent and still. I've never experienced that before, really was moving !
    www.2020studios.co.uk