Customer Service

What's Hot
chunkmonkchunkmonk Frets: 49
edited January 2021 in Guitar
Further  to a recent post about an issue with a guitar body bought from NorthWest guitars, I rang the company today (after previously been told somebody would get back to me)  and was truly shocked by the customer service.

After being told by the manager, they were busy dealing with other people.....I was also asked if I realised Brexit had taken place and as a result they were dealing with their European customers.   Basically alot of reasons were made as to not helping the with issue highlighted to them in regards to the purchase I had made.  

In addition to this, inappropriate language was directed towards myself by the ‘manager’ of the company in which I was basically told that they were busy and to deal with my concern and I was asked to put the phone down.  After again me asking what could be done about the issue, the manager then put the phone down!

Having then received a call from the owner he was insistent that the issue was not down to them as nobody else had reported a similar issue. They also denied the poor customer service took place or any inappropriate language had been directed towards me by the staff.

Appreciating the ‘challenging times’ we currently live in, but in my mind this shows not great customer service from what I once thought of reliable company,  I would now not use again. 

Shame really, as again in these strange times we should be supporting those ‘little’ companies that we use for our recreation and that might not survive otherwise.

Rant over.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    What was wrong with the guitar body?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    I saw your previous thread regarding the guitar body's paint issues @chunkmonk ;and would think it perfectly reasonable that the supplier should deal with it under warranty. Your issue being "not as important as other customers" implies that they have others who have reported even worse faults, least ways that's how I would read it.

I'm sure members here will line up to say what great service they've had from NorthWest Guitars but in my experience they are immediately in denial when a customer has a problem. I bought some components from them that were defective so I requested a refund. I was asked to send photographs which I did. They then told me that the components were fine and that the issues I complained of were normal. Now, bear in mind that I have been playing guitar for over 40 years, have owned very many guitars in that time and have regularly worked on them and also built them so I do know what I am talking about. Eventually they did reluctantly take the parts back but even then couldn't resist emailing to say that there was nothing wrong with them and it was only as a matter of 'good faith' that they were refunding. Not impressed at all with their aftersales and I've avoided buying from them since.

Good luck @chunkmonk. You'll need to persevere but you should do just that -  whether they like it of not!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    You did use sanding sealer didn't you ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    The body was supplied finished direct from NorthWest Guitars, and only used to add to neck, etc to.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    chunkmonk said:
    Jalapeno said:
    The body was supplied finished direct from NorthWest Guitars, and only used to add to neck, etc to.
    Great ! Definitely down to them.  See if they're on Facebook too and post there !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    In this day and age one shouldn't have to rely on Lady Luck to ensure a satisfactory customer experience and you've obviously exhausted all constructive communication with your supplier. 

Get a quote from a painter for refinishing and lodge a complaint with Trading Standards. Here you will find the correct advice. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/

If a company refuses to stand by their products you can obtain financial redress via Money Claim Online.

• Switch625Switch625 Frets: 591
    Extremely shoddy customer service. There's no excuse for it if they want customers to remain loyal. I've never ordered from there but will avoid based on your experience.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    When it comes to customer service people forget.  If someone gets good service then maybe that person will tell one or two other people, if they get bad service they'll tell everyone.

In this age of online reviews you really don't want to piss customers off.
  • chunkmonkchunkmonk Frets: 49
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for information...by  way of update, I have received a follow up email from the owner is insistent that the guitar has been stored in excessive moisture for a prolonged period of time (!!) rather than the hiscox case lived in when not being played.

No mention of an apology as yet for the manner of the customer service..but hey ho I guess that is to be expected!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    That’s a bad do. 
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    I asked them a few questions about their guitar necks a while ago. They only answered a couple in a pretty slapdash manner.

That in itself is just a bit crap and nowhere near the issue the OP is dealing with, but it was enough for me to go elsewhere for my 'big' purchases.

It's a shame as we need companies who combine what they offer with polite, efficient and reliable service.

• I've used them  before but will now sever all ties, i.e. unsubscribe from their newsletters, etc.   This sounds like really amateur crap service and deserves to be punished. I ran a successful business for years and we put customer service as a permanent top priority and it paid handsome dividends (literally) as well as being the right thing to do.  I abhor poor service. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    This is a shame to read, as I frequently buy parts from them.  Will think twice in future.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 269
    edited January 2021
    Gerz6558 said:
    This is a shame to read, as I frequently buy parts from them.  Will think twice in future.
    Recently bought a neck from them for my old Strat and lately some stuff for a Tele project, customer service should always be paramount, so in view of your experience will be having a rethink as well.
      Perhaps you could copy them in on this thread.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    Yeah not good, I've ordered odds and sods off of them. 
    As others have said, if you've experienced bad customer service you'll tell ten people with good service you'll maybe tell one other person.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I’ve bought something from them today. That’s the last time I buy anything from them 

Shocking way to treat customers 
  • Only good experiences with them... sorry you had a bad one! 
  • I bought 4 Alpha pots from them......
    Never seen pots with Alpha stamped on in ink before,,,,,,!!!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14799
    edited January 2021
    I have. They were in a Hamer XT series guitar. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.