Celeste - does she hit notes between the 12 notes?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11895
edited January 2021 in Music
I'm really enjoying her singing style

I suspect she's hitting more of the in-between notes than most other vocalists.#
You know, the ones guitarists play that most people don't notice

Can anyone with more training than me verify/refute this?

I'm looking at @Viz for a start

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    Sounds interesting - can you post a link? 

Jacob Collier’s my go-to chap for between-key modulations, he’s a genius 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11895
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    edited January 2021
    Most definitely she is. She sounds like a proper blues singer. 

Try some Arabic or Turkish singers for even more. The "in between notes" form the melodic basis of maqamat/makamat music. 
    merlin said:
    Most definitely she is. She sounds like a proper blues singer. 

Try some Arabic or Turkish singers for even more. The "in between notes" for the basis of maqamat/makamat music. 
    I know, I was quite enjoying some songs on Turkish TV when I was there in 2019

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    I always hit notes in between the 12 notes whenever I try to sing.

Which is why I don't try...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    I don't like it - sounds like she's mumbling.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited January 2021

I think if one were being cruel one might say she's just singing out of tune, or swooping up to notes.

I don't think that's quite right. I think it's more conscious, she's purposefully being a little carefree (not careless) with the notes, to give the melody an attractively relaxed, languid and mellifluous sense. A bit like Robert Plant does, except with him it's to create a more rebellious, outrageous feel.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say she's deliberately choosing micro tones from the 19-tone or 31-tone scales for example.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Never heard of her before. I would have just cleared off but as someone kindly provided a video I gave it a look. Fabulous singing! Absolutely love her thing going on there. Not the sort of music that I would buy but 100% like it. 

As far as the original question goes ... er .... dunno. I just hear a woman singing.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited January 2021
    I also like her singing, great talent.

I think my own singing hits notes that aren't in the 12, but I sure don't sound like Celeste.
    viz said:

I think if one were being cruel one might say she's just singing out of tune, or swooping up to notes.

I don't think that's quite right. I think it's more conscious, she's purposefully being a little carefree (not careless) with the notes, to give the melody an attractively relaxed, languid and mellifluous sense. A bit like Robert Plant does, except with him it's to create a more rebellious, outrageous feel.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say she's deliberately choosing micro tones from the 19-tone or 31-tone scales for example.
    I wonder if she is emulating someone else's scales
    btw, I'm getting fatigued with the "R&B" levels of extra grace notes (is that the right word outside classical music) thrown on everything for the last few years, I quite like to hear the melody itself, with expression for a change