Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best acoustic guitarist you've ever seen?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Probably the best - John Renbourn.

Most surprisingly good - as mentioned in the other thread - Lloyd Cole.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've seen a fair few folk, folk-rock acts over the years although not that many with star guitarists. I did see John Jorgenson do an acoustic set once, primarily gypsy jazz so maybe him. Oh and Gordon Giltrap, just nice music really so I guess I don't think of him as a technical kinda guy. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Danny1969 said:
    Tommy Emmanuelle, seen him twice just stupidly good and entertaining 
    This.

And check out Joe Robinson who, at less than half Tommy's age, is an amazing player.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    ICBM said:

Most surprisingly good - as mentioned in the other thread - Lloyd Cole.
    You must have had very low expectations of his playing! Seen him a few times, pretty much open chords and the occasional basic barre, I thought...

But anyway, Tommy Emmanuel is surely the correct answer to the OP.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Fionn Regan for me. He started playing finger style and my mate and I looked at each other and said "how the hell is he getting all that sound out of one acoustic". 

John Smith was also pretty special in a small tent at EoTR Festival. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Hattigol said:

You must have had very low expectations of his playing! Seen him a few times, pretty much open chords and the occasional basic barre, I thought...
    No, quite a bit of finger style stuff. Very musical-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I met Eric Roche at a guitar show many years ago before he was well know. I chatted to him and bought a CD which he kindly signed for me. I was amazed by his style of playing. A short while after he kicked off with his amazing rendition of 'Smells like teen spirit' and an amazing crowd assembled out of nowhere. Everyone in earshot just had to rush over and see him playing. He was a sad loss to cancer.

My other fave is Doyle Dykes, I have seen him live and also close up at a couple of clinics. He is an incredible player.

I love Tommy Emmanuel's playing but I haven't seen him live
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Eric Roche.  Brilliant guitarist, so sad when he passed away.  RIP.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Not technically the best acoustic player but Stephen Stills playing a solo show at Vicar Street in Dublin - voice wasn't what it once was but his acoustic playing was superb. He's a master of alternate tunings and the sound was glorious. As were the songs.  2nd half was electric with his band - also fantastic.
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Bob Brozman
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Antoine Dufour 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited January 2021
    Rodrigo y Gabriela - certainly defined acoustic metal - very good shows.

Kelly Joe Phelps - amazing

The late Bob Brozman

Gordon Giltrap as mentioned ^^^^^^

Nigel Mazlyn Jones - great use of echo & delays eons before the loopers
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Not really for the guitar playing per se, but I saw Damien Rice twice on his way up and both times were basically the best thing ever
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    I saw Juan Martin play the music for his Flamenco Puro show in Mullingar many years ago.  Very impressive as indeed were all the others in the show.  It was staged on the Arts Center floor with the seating all around the musicians and dancers.  An amazing evening.

I also saw Rodrigo y Gabriella play in Longford.  Impressive playing but distant, very little communication with the audience.  Even more memorable that night was the 'music' played after RyG had finished up.  It was so distorted that I did not recognise AC-DC!  It sounded like a bad recording of a pub band.  Actually it was worse sounding than that.  It was so bad that I asked the sound engineer what was playing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    Tommy Emmanuel
  • Tommy Emmanuelle
  • Best as in the one I have enjoyed most on numerous occasions - Richard Thompson 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    Steel string acoustic - Isaac Guillory
    Nylon string acoustic - John Williams

• uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 308
    The three that come to mind would be Richard Thompson, Tommy Emmanuel and Pierre Bensusan.

I think I've actually been to see Richard Thompson play more times than anyone else and I love his electric playing too. But he can make solo acoustic guitar sound like an orchestra.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited January 2021
    Ralph Towner
    Paco De Lucia
    Leo Kottke
    Andres Segovia
    Cooder and Lindley
    (not in any order)