Where can I get the Lava cable cutter and the George L Plugs on its own?

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333

I want to get the George L Cable kit but it doesn't come with a cutter, after watching Gigrig's video he used the cutter from Lava Cables, is there anyway you can get that cutter separately on its own? 

Also, my google skills failed me again that i can't find any George L plugs on its own either, in total I will need 20 plugs.  The kit comes with 10 so I need 10 more. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    I don't wanna be a dick, but I searched george L cables, and this was the first result haha

They are kinda pricey though, It will soon add up.

I've got some lavas in bound and I might have a spare cutter as I've ordered a couple of sets, whether or not the cable thickness is the same, I'm not sure
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333

In an ideal world I would get the George L plugs to go with Lava cable and cutter so it fits...

If you have a spare cutter then I like to buy one off of you if you don't mind.  I can then source the Lava cable and the plugs separately. 

• Why can't you use the George l cable cutter? I'm assuming they're much of a muchness?
    edited July 2014
    Why can't you use the George l cable cutter? I'm assuming they're much of a muchness?

I didn't know they do one ! My mistake...

I like the stripping nature of the Lava cutter that's all.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11016

OMG do people really spend that kind of wedge making up patch cables, that's insane!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • http://www.hotroxuk.com/george-l-s-cable-cutter-838.html

For stripping you can either use any old stripper that happens to fit (I use a Wilkinsons one that cost very little indeed).

use klotz or... Whatever the other main cable brand is. I also use proper soldered neutrik plugs, and they're fantastic. I have to admit, the corner plugs are not the smallest, though.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    or buy a soldering iron, some Canare cable and Switchcraft plugs.
    You'll save yourself a fortune over your guitar playing life.
    Danny1969 said:

OMG do people really spend that kind of wedge making up patch cables, that's insane!

I know, but i am telling myself it is a small percentage of the cost of the who set up....

http://www.hotroxuk.com/george-l-s-cable-cutter-838.html

For stripping you can either use any old stripper that happens to fit (I use a Wilkinsons one that cost very little indeed).

use klotz or... Whatever the other main cable brand is. I also use proper soldered neutrik plugs, and they're fantastic. I have to admit, the corner plugs are not the smallest, though.

I am trying to stay away from soldered plugs purely because

1 - I suck at soldering, tried it once making HiFi interconnectors, it was a success but it took me hours to do 2 cables (4 plugs). 

2 - I lost that soldering iron long ago and don't want to buy another one

3 - I suck at soldering.

I like the look of the lava stripper mainly after that vidoe of Dan at Gigrig for Ed.  It seems a million miles easier to do than soldering 20 plugs.

• George L's are great. Been using and gigging them for many years with zero problem. Just use a cable tester on them once made up. You get what you pay for!
    If you need the cutter dude, I'm happy to mail it don't worry about cost or ought

Check you don't get one already though, I might need two in the long run (hoarder kinda guy haha)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11016

My mates got that Behringer CT100 and was using it to test a load of midi leads. It was failing every single one. A quick look inside revealed a wire had fallen off the female midi socket. Ah the wonderful quality of Behringer 

To be honest continuity testing of an audio cable it a bit of a waste of time as it won't pick up faults that render the cable working but seriously degraded
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Whoa, just priced up 20 plugs, a tester and 3 ft of cable and we are looking at north of £100 easy !
  • I buy van damme from eBay - about a quid per metre, very flexible and shielded well. Van damme pro.

Not sure if it'll fit your connectors though.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    If you have a guitar and an amp - you have a tester. :-)
    Gagaryn said:
    If you have a guitar and an amp - you have a tester. :-)
    I've been testing by running guitar to volume pedal > new cable > tuner > amp

I tested with a working patch first to check all was well, then just sit the new cable in to make sure it works clear and it's doing me fine!

(although it has taken 2 hours just to make one fecking cable haha! I'm bad at this)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Van damme cable is great. I use it for all my patch cable stuff
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited July 2014
    http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/products.php?product=Lava-Cable-Tightrope-Solder-Free-Kit-Limited-Edition-Ultramafic-Cable-Upgrade

If I was starting again with making up some pedal board leads I'd check these versions out. They're smaller than anything else and apparently very easy to put together. I use the older lava plugs and they certainly give you very sore fingers and can be a bit of a headache to get the board done in an evening! But they do work well!
    Yep^^^ I made mine yesterday and my fingers are fecked...
    nickb_boy said:
    http://www.soundsgreatmusic.com/products.php?product=Lava-Cable-Tightrope-Solder-Free-Kit-Limited-Edition-Ultramafic-Cable-Upgrade

If I was starting again with making up some pedal board leads I'd check these versions out. They're smaller than anything else and apparently very easy to put together. I use the older lava plugs and they certainly give you very sore fingers and can be a bit of a headache to get the board done in an evening! But they do work well!
    Thanks, that looks good but again, Google fail, I can't seem to find more of those plugs?