Compound radius necks- setting action

What's Hot
Have a lovely Suhr tele with a compound radius neck -9.5 to 12.  If I am setting the string height, what radius gauge would you use to set the action and string height?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7129
    tFB Trader
    I wouldn't use a radius gauge at all.

Just set the string heights to get progressively slightly higher from 1st to 6th string when measured at the 12th fret. Put a capo at the first fret if you like to eliminate any differences in nut slot heights.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73107
    If you must use a gauge, 16". The 'projected' radius at the bridge will be about 13", and you typically want the strings about 25% flatter radius than the fingerboard. Although that's just a rough rule of thumb, I would always go by how the guitar actually feels.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the advice... have always measured at the 12 fret to ensure the individual strings are the same distance from fret to the bottom of the string but having purchased some string gauges, could not find much on the internet about setting string height on a compound neck.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73107
    Thanks for the advice... have always measured at the 12 fret to ensure the individual strings are the same distance from fret to the bottom of the string but having purchased some string gauges, could not find much on the internet about setting string height on a compound neck.  
    They shouldn’t be the same distance - as Steve said, they need to rise progressively from treble to bass. Typical heights would be 1.5mm on the high E to 2.5mm on the low E, each being 0.2mm higher than the previous one. This is because the heavier strings have a wider arc of vibration.

If you draw this out as a cross-section you should see why the string radius needs to be about 25% larger than the fingerboard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I will try that at the weekend and see how it feels.. appreciate the advice.