Marshall MS-2 mod

This small mod to my little Marshall MS-2 was sparked by a comment by @Kalimna and from contact with him, it seems that @ICBM had suggested this mod some time in the past.  The idea is to bypass the 3" internal speaker in the amp and feed the output to a bigger 'real' guitar speaker.  Most of the online info suggest bypassing the resistor on the headphone output daughter board.  I opted to fit an additional socket, the headphone mod would have been simpler but drilling holes etc is no problem as I have the tools in the garage.

Anyway the work only took a few minutes and, not having a speaker cabinet to hand, I used the Jensen 10" speaker in my Stinger to test the result.  The sound is a lot better than I expected, very Marshally on the clean setting and crunchy on the OD setting, usable if the volume is turned down.  Otherwise it is very distorted and noisy, fine if you want that sound, but too noisy for me.  No problems with neighbours as the max volume is not very loud.

Well worth the small effort and what I considered an ornament on a shelf in our music room, is now a useful amp.  I am now itching to plug it into a 4 * 12 to see what happens.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    Plug it in - its worth it :)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    Love the sound from the MS-2 when the carbon zinc battery starts to die.