I might like reverb again...

EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
I am generally against the idea of having a little bit of reverb on, in plenty of venues it is lost and/ or it can just be mush. Having said that some of my favourite players slather a lot of reverb on. Listening to someone tonight who used a Carl Martin Headroom on a couple of songs, very Peter Green, sounded great. The spring reverb on my amp doesn't do that level of lushness, I don't think my little used Trex reverb pedal does either, although I shall be digging it out and seeing how close I can get. So Plan B is to start looking at reverb pedals. The Headroom is too big and fairly pricey so it will need to be something cheaper and smaller but still Peter Green in a 9v powered box. Oh, it's going to be the HOF mini...I can hear it calling...calling...calling...
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice :D

I've possibly decided to save for a pedal projects marbleverb. But the hall of fame is a very real alternative...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    The HOF mini looks great for the price although I haven't tried one.

I got the Hardwire reverb earlier this year and I love it. It's got several settings which are all usable and lots of flexibility from the controls.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I use the HoF mini on my gigging board, alhough my amp has reverb I use it to kick in as an effect for a couple of songs, but also if I end up sharing or using a non reverb amp.

Anyway, yes they're great. I have the Trinity and big HoF before that so the sounds are familair to me. As long as you have a smartphone that runs the app it's brillianr.

I did have a bit of noise trouble though (using a non isolated Diago PSU), but I've added an isolation adapter to it and that sorted it out fine. I did post a thread on this a while back and someone suggested it was the interation between anologue and digital pedals, or something like that. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    The HoF Mini is only £65, it's small and the tc app seems to work ok on my phone. Had no noise issues with my tc X4 off the Diago, although been listening to Gary Clark Jr again and stomping on my Zombie Fuzz so enjoying hiss at the moment!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 660
    I love reverb, but would be wary about using a lot of it at a gig; for one thing it's hard to tell how it sounds in the mix from onstage, and secondly if the sound man is putting reverb on the vocals (or anything else), having two different reverbs can lead to all kinds of weirdness and mush.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    sometimes there's nothing better than having obnoxious amounts of valve driven spring reverb
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    edited July 2014
    strtdv said:

sometimes there's nothing better than having obnoxious amounts of valve driven spring reverb
    Only sometimes?

:)

That said, digital is getting close these days.

I actually like the Boss one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I heard a demo of the pedal projects marbleverb the other day and I couldn't believe how utterly magical it sounded.

Okay, just a demo but still...

The reverb on the bandit is a big spring tank but it's very crashy and bright. :( not ideal, but not unusable I suppose. It's my only spring reverb ownership and I want to get back to digital!
    ThePrettyDamned said:

The reverb on the bandit is a big spring tank but it's very crashy and bright. :( not ideal, but not unusable I suppose.
    So is the one on my Studio Pro. OK but not enough below about 9 o'clock, too much and too trashy above that. I'm going to get around to modding it at some point, I'll let you know what works - at a guess simply loading the output of the tank with a fairly low resistance might do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2014
    The one on my Traynor YCV20 was a bit similar, I cured that by adding a resistor across the lower part of the reverb pot if I remember right...

• ICBM;297872" said:
    [quote=ThePrettyDamned]
    The reverb on the bandit is a big spring tank but it's very crashy and bright. :( not ideal, but not unusable I suppose.
    So is the one on my Studio Pro. OK but not enough below about 9 o'clock, too much and too trashy above that. I'm going to get around to modding it at some point, I'll let you know what works - at a guess simply loading the output of the tank with a fairly low resistance might do it.[/quote]

Nice, if you can fix it, let me know how and I'll open it up.