Replacing the tolex on a 4x12

What's Hot
I have a *mint* Marshall 4x12 1960AV in blue with gold piping.
Is there anyone that can re-cover it in a new colour, or would it be cheaper/easier to just buy a new one in the colour I want?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73107
    That depends on what colour you want...

Black - buy another cab.
    Anything else - have it recovered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah - I was thinking that, but then the cabs new are not *that* expensive. How much do you reckon it would cost to get recovered? I might contact Marshall and see if they'll sell me an empty cab with no front or back in the finish I want and then transfer the speakers and grill over. They did that with my Marshall head for me.
    You'll need the back as well.

I don't know how expensive it would be to have it recovered but I'd guess at least a hundred quid... if you want black you can pick up 4x12"s for not much more than that, and the blue one would be easy to re-sell - you'd probably come out ahead, in fact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I would move the back from the blue one - noone would see it and then just keep the blue chasis in my storage unit. 

I was looking to get it done in silver snakeskin. 
    My taste hasn’t improved over the years. 

I recall the outrage on the old forum when I got a flame maple Gibson Explorer pro refinished in gold glitter flake red. :)

I was looking to get it done in silver snakeskin.
    :D 

In that case I would just do the job properly - send the whole thing (less baffle/speakers) to someone like Zilla and have it recovered. You're unlikely to find a snakeskin one otherwise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think Marshall do offer a snakeskin option. I’ll phone them on Monday.