Cutting Chrome Tailpiece

What's Hot
Any advice on cutting this Squier Tele tailpiece plate?  I've got an electric jigsaw and I'm considering using a blade for cutting metal.  In case anyone wants to know why, I am installing a bigsby (copy) and need the part that holds the bridge pick up, the part the strings go through is in the way.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    If I had to do it I’d use a hacksaw with a decent quality blade. Not a junior hacksaw because you’ll find it difficult to cut it straight. Then use a file to smooth off the cut edges and round the corners. Unfortunately the cut edge can’t be re-chromed. It will always look different. My preference would be to body mount the pickup, or make a new plate.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm still considering making a new plate, I will probably see how the cutting goes first.  If it works the cut edge will be barely visible as it almost goes right to the bridge.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• I actually did get one of those but it doesn't completely cover the pick up cavity, leaving a very visible oblong triangle that I can't live with.  At this point I was beginning to regret tackling this at all but the sound of the guitar is so improved I can't believe it. Especially unplugged, which I do a lot when working on new material.  I'm not sure if the angle of the strings over the bridge or the lack of all the springs and small pieces that make up a stock tail piece are why.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    Hacksaw or dremel with cutting wheel.  Tidy up with a file

Done a few now
  • WezV said:
    Hacksaw or dremel with cutting wheel.  Tidy up with a file

Done a few now
    Thanks WezV and all that responded.  I just needed to know it wasn't impossible or something.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73104
    Wouldn’t it be easier to cut slots in the back of the existing bridge through to the upper holes, using the lower holes for the saddle screws?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7055
    It will be chrome plated steel, so cut with a hacksaw and then file the edge straight and deburr the edges. Should be simple enough.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBM said:
    Wouldn’t it be easier to cut slots in the back of the existing bridge through to the upper holes, using the lower holes for the saddle screws?
    I considered that but I'm more equipped to just saw off a chunk of plating than I am for drilling large holes of that type.  I have already retrofitted a new bridge with string rollers and the pseudo bigsby.  Now I just need to get the bridge pickup installed in a way that I'm happy with and I'm pretty sure this will do it.  It's going to be a few days before I get this all done(other life stuff and all).  I might even post pics!?!

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19437
    I'd be more inclined to do what @ICBM suggests & 'notch' the back edge , using a dremel or similar with a round grinding bit.
    To end up a bit like this

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks very viable but I've had my heart set on a roller bridge from the start, and it's already in place.  Maybe this plan will be where I go if I ever do this again.